6.8 SPC Forums banner
341 - 360 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
BTW Greg,
I go back to Pascagoula Saturday. Gonna try the 88's @ about 2800 ( a little less if it's cold).
View attachment 50565
Narrowed down my load over the past two weeks. Have one that repeats well.
That's shooting well. I've got 100 rounds loaded to test in mine next trip out with a couple bullet weights. I picked up some more Hagar brass to make some NOSGAR up.

Right now I'm working on the new cat that's running as fast or faster than a 22-250 in my AR. You'll like it when it's done.

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
I bought 6 packs of 50 Hagar cases and wanted maybe a 100 more.
Maybe they'll break down the big lots.
I could burn out of the 22N barrels 3) I have with 500 cases.
Been shooting the Nosler cases and had to cull one for pocket after 4/5? shots.

Let us know when you lift the secrecy blanket on that cat.
Hagar case and a little light 22 cal bullet (I know you like the light ones)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I bought 6 packs of 50 Hagar cases and wanted maybe a 100 more.
Maybe they'll break down the big lots.
I could burn out of the 22N barrels 3) I have with 500 cases.

Let us know when you lift the secrecy blanket on that cat.
Hagar case and a little light 22 cal bullet (I know you like the light ones)
I'm watching the usual suspects for 100 lots of the brass to flesh out my stock too.

55's at 3800 seems to work..lol

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Made it to 600 with the 28" 22N shooting 88's
Cold (for a southerner), windy, from behind and quartering both sides.
Switching is harder to call (for me) than a wind from the side.
Did my personal best though, 94%
10 X's, 18 10's, 5 8's, the rest 9's.
The 8's and most of the 9's weren't my fault :)

18 shooters and I got to look at a lot of pretty rifles.
Looked through a couple upper crust scopes and I am very happy with my Athlon Argos.
Again, 34 X all day.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Made it to 600 with the 28" 22N shooting 88's
Cold (for a southerner), windy, from behind and quartering both sides.
Switching is harder to call (for me) than a wind from the side.
Did my personal best though, 94%
10 X's, 18 10's, 5 8's, the rest 9's.
The 8's and most of the 9's weren't my fault :)

18 shooters and I got to look at a lot of pretty rifles.
Looked through a couple upper crust scopes and I am very happy with my Athlon Argos.
Again, 34 X all day.
That's good shooting. 94 is dang respectable.

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
That makes two trips blaming the wind :) but it's a learning experience.
The first time I over estimated hold this time I underestimated.
A few shots and I though Hey I've Got This, then it would switch.

Will probably be stuck at 100 yards for a while unless the winter is mild here.
Besides, the South Florida shoot is coming up at the end of March and I need to practice with the 20" (sling)

·
Registered
587 Posts
All my 22n's are Nogas and seem to have a stickage issue after several shots.
Just to make sure it's not hot rounds I've loaded lower rounds and still after about 20 to 25 rounds I run into hard to extract cases.
I pay really close attention to case prep and think I have found what the problem is, working on a cure.
I get soot on the neck to shoulder junction. A black ring.
Started with CFE223, so I changed to Varget, Varmint, and now IMR4350.
I've put light crimps and that didn't help. Still about 20 or so shots and I get stickage.
Not heat either. Have let the barrel cool while I went downrange to change targets or repaint plates.
I can pull the bolt run a dry patch and it's good for another 20 shots.
It's an accumulation over several shots.
I don't want to put any solvents in the barrel during a comp so I made up a plastic 90degree holder for a 30 cal and 45 mop.
I can get them into the chamber from the ejection port poke around a bit and shoot on.
67 shots yesterday and I had 1 stickage that required me pulling on the bolt handle (side charger) and reaching around with my off hand to open the bolt. Swabbed, and continued on.

I might work on just a little hotter loads as I get NO pressure signs yet, and see if a little more will seal up the neck better.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The hotter loadings might help marginally but I would not bet the farm on it. I would go in and spend some quality time with lotions and potions and make sure that carbon is clean in the neck area. You may have some build up and the chamber might be a bit tight to begin with. Of curse one could take the chicken's way out and neck turn 0.001 or 0.002 off each side

Based on the new wildcat we are doing along with my NOSGAR and some other reports the Hagar brass is slightly thinner ta the 22 Nosler so you are already smaller than the original stuff. You ever stick a true Nosler case?

One other thing to check the overall length of the brass.

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes.
Only been shooting 22N cases lately but it also happened with the NosGar cases.
The New 22N cases are sized a little short, maybe 0.004" shorter than my 0.002" I try for.
Takes a shot to get them up to size. I've shot sized cases with very little 'headspace".
Sometimes I can make it 30 shots without a hard to extract case.
Have done full length sizing with the RCBS Dies and case sizing with the Redding case die and Lee collet (modified 223 die and a .222" mandrel) neck die.

It happens with all three barrels including the new one. I did take some polish and hit the shoulder area in the chamber a little.
The ARP 20" is a treated barrel. Thought that was the cause and that it would shoot out. Nope.
The BA barrel did the same thing, and now the X-Caliber. Yesterday I Dry swabbed at the end of each 10 shot string and the swab tip was black. A 30 cal swab just makes it past the shoulder. That really helped.
I'm going in again to polish the neck shoulder junction and just into the neck. Just a little.

I trim to a common length for the comps. 1.560"
With the Body die/Collet die, they don't grow much.
All the cases from yesterday are still out in the truck. I magic markered a ring at the primer for the New cases, different color for once fired, and yet another color for the 2/3 fired. Maybe some still have the soot. If so, I'll post a pic or two later today.

For headspace (don't have a commercial case gauge) I use a steel X39 case that I flared a little and lapped to a scrap case. Not great but it repeats. I can size and predict when a case won't chamber without a slam :).

I'll sneak out a little later and get the cases and look them over.
Today is family day and I've spent a lot of gun time over the past days and don't want to push my luck :)
Don't have a single rifle on the kitchen counter. Strange.
Only a few rifle parts on the kitchen table. Yes dear, no dear, so far she's buying it.

Here's one pic of the chamber swab. I'll get some soot close ups later. But they don't look as bad as usual.
Red ring cases were 2/3 fired, now 3/4 fired. Brown ring were new cases. Had the whole bunch sorted by weight and only shot 2 new cases.
I try and filter in some new cases to make once fired. 5th Fired and they go into the practice bucket.
The Green were once fired, now twice fired.
Fired necks are 'about 0.2553, loaded are .2527" to .2532". Might be some outside that if I checked them all.
Games

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here's two of the worst looking ones from yesterday.
I had put the lightest taper crimp I could to try and bump initial pressure.
Glass bottle Metal Brass

No soot on the necks this time but I swabbed often. You can see the collet crimp indications. I crimp and rotate a little and crimp again.
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark :)

Stickage NEVER EVER happens in the first SEVERAL rounds, and gets reset with a cleaning or just a dry patch or two at the range.

Here's two New 22N cases, before and after. Over 40 shots into the day.
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Nozzle Metal

I don't normally crimp. This was just an experiment.

Here's some from the first string before stickage occurred. These are 2nd/3rd (now 3rd/4th) fired cases.
Product Glass bottle Brass Bottle Metal

I know someone will want to know, I run an H3 buffer in this gun :a32:

BTW, I made an error a few posts back.
The load I shot was 88ELD at about 2880, not 2800 (maybe a tinny bit less due to the temperature)
600 come up from a 100yd zero was 11.5MOA and elevation was pretty good.
My first shot of the day with a Clean Cold Bore Shot was a 6 o'clock 9 but they came up after a couple shots.
I took the first X sighter, 5th shot, for score.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I'm guessing the stickiness happens on all powders. Out of curiosity what dies are you using. I probably missed that. Three barres and all teh same issue there is only one commonality here and I keep thinking brass sizing. Expansion on fired cases is a bit on the smaller side and I do prefer that but not excessively small. Most of the chambers I shoot have been cut with custom reamers with 0.001 taper in the neck and I haven't experienced your issues on anything.

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
I started with an RCBS set (not small base). Did full length size, minimal bump.

Lately my sizing has been with an Redding body die.
I'm using a .222 undersize mandrel in the Lee collect die.
Both had the same problem.
I don't have a borescope and am leery of working to much in a space I can't see.

I usually don't shoot enough factory stuff to get stickage ($$$) but I do have a bunch of bargain 62gr that I might shoot.
It'll give me once fired brass at the least.
With the swabbing stickage wasn't really that bad.

The previous 600yd I shot the 24" BA barrel and during the prep time for the second and third relay I pulled the bolt and ran patches.
Made the day with a little stickage at the end of the relays.

Uploading a cherry picked 10 round string to youtube. My best ever 96. No X's though.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I started with an RCBS set (not small base). Did full length size, minimal bump.

Lately my sizing has been with an Redding body die.
I'm using a .222 undersize mandrel in the Lee collect die.
Both had the same problem.
I don't have a borescope and am leery of working to must in a space I can't see.

I usually don't shoot enough factory stuff to get stickage ($$$) but I do have a bunch of bargain 62gr that I might shoot.
It'll give me once fired brass at the least.
With the swabbing stickage wasn't really that bad.

The previous 600yd I shot the 24" BA barrel and during the prep time for the second and third relay I pulled the bolt and ran patches.
Made the day with a little stickage at the end of the relays.

Uploading a cherry picked 10 round string to youtube. My best ever 96. No X's though.
Do you feel like it is more pronounced now than when you were using the RCBS die set up?

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do you feel like it is more pronounced now than when you were using the RCBS die set up?

Greg
No. Seems better.
And the IMR4350 powder is better than CFE223.

It's to the point I can live with it. Sort of. Before it would shut me down until I pulled the bolt (keep the allen wrench for the bolt handle with the ammo out of habit).
I've smoothed the edges around the bolt face, extractor, ejector. Run without rings to reduce the force required to open. This last shoot I ran with a cut down ejector spring and a bolt tail spring (like Lantec).
Next step will be ramping the carrier (like a 1911 bolt stop).
Reducing all the drag to open a bolt.

and
running the charge up a little just to see.

The problem with troubleshooting this is it doesn't happen until about 20+ rounds fired.
Haven't shot the Melonite 20" barrel in a while. I can add that upper to the next range trip without making the case too heavy to carry :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
No. Seems better.
And the IMR4350 powder is better than CFE223.

It's to the point I can live with it. Sort of. Before it would shut me down until I pulled the bolt (keep the allen wrench for the bolt handle with the ammo out of habit).
I've smoothed the edges around the bolt face, extractor, ejector. Run without rings to reduce the force required to open. This last shoot I ran with a cut down ejector spring and a bolt tail spring (like Lantec).
Next step will be ramping the carrier (like a 1911 bolt stop).
Reducing all the drag to open a bolt.

and
running the charge up a little just to see.
I suppose I'm just asleep at the wheel here. Is this a single shot straight pull AR we're dealing with?

Greg

341 - 360 of 405 Posts