6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
The 22 Nosler brass I received looks nothing like the 6.8 brass they made after purchasing SSA. This stuff looks good but I havent had time to see how long it lasts with high pressure loads. Time will tell...hope it's tough.
Does your 22N brass have a square/sharp rim or does it look like the pics on-line with a bevel on the base (and every other AR case I've seen)?
I can't post pics yet but it seems the square edge is shaving brass and collecting on the bolt face.

I'm shooting the 77gr factory stuff, gas off, single load from a sled.

Bought a few boxes from Midway when it was on 'Clearance'.
The next day the price went up.
Got 3037fps avg from your 20" barrel.
Which I'm very very happy with.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've only got 30 rounds down the pipe but I really like the way it shoots.
At 100yds, 3 into .27", 5 into .52", got excited looking through the scope, threw 2 fliers and ended up with 10 into 1.05"

I did end up with some brass scattered on the bolt face, even imprinting on the primers, so I thought the square edge was an oversight.
Nosler on-line ad images show a bevel.

I polished the bolt a little and will go back out to try and beat that 1 inch group.

I took my once fired and loaded up some 75gr A-Max. I got 2.480" to 2.482" to the lands with the A-max.
Going for 2.470". Sound about right for the slim A-Max?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am very happy with my 22 Nosler.
I single load with a no-gas right side charge upper and a sled and hand load 75/80 gr Hornady tipped bullets.
Single loading must be a real problem for some folks. But I don't see all the brass damage that others do.
No pulled rims, split cases or necks, no loose pockets yet (max of 3 firings so far).
Man, that sharp edged rim on early production brass was a pain in the bolt though.
Now with some load data out there (for other bullets :( ) I might try some IMR 4350.
So far Varget and CFE223 are working out.
I guess if someone just has to mag length load 80's and above then go with the Valkyrie.
I am not convinced it's really that much better :)
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Text Material property

Did I mention I'm really really happy with my 22N?
:)
Did a (with witnesses) 0.96 x 1.61 MOA 5 shot group @ 450 yds (twice)
(that like be really good for me)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd always heard that a neck at least one bullet diameter was needed for best coaxial alignment and stability.
The 22N was designed to keep .223 ammo out of the chamber.
Shorten the Valkyrie neck and lighter bullets would have a giant jump.

Long bullets need to be single loaded with the .223 and 22N, mag length for the Valk.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gonna make another practice run (100yds) at my local range with the 22N and waste some more of the 80ELD bullets.
Got some 70RDF to try but those are mostly for the wife and her gas operated AR :)
Then at the end of the month, if they let me compete, I'll try 600 yds. First time ever that long.
Sling, glove and mat, the 20 inch 22N, and 80 ELD's. As long as the wind is less than 2 or 3 MPH I should be able to get on paper.
Any bets I'll be the only 22N there?
How about a no-gas 22N? :)

80gr ELD-M, dropping down to 9.365 carats of CFE223, CCI 41, and a few thousandths longer @2.475".

·
Registered
587 Posts
maybe it's because I'm running without gas on my 22N but the brass seems to be surviving now. A few light scratches on the necks from the edges of the M4 feed ramp required a little light blending work on the edges. I was still getting some marks from the extractor slipping over the rim on loading so I did some more blending on the extractor and removed the O-ring and it seems better.

Brass Metal Copper
Sink Plumbing fixture Glass Metal

Shot some 1 to 4th fired cases, 5th primer seems fine.
Brass Ammunition Metal Copper Bullet

A few scope clicks here and there,
Target archery Recreation Circle Archery Shooting sport

My last range trip with 80 ELD's before the 600 yard match got me close. All I need to do is come up 49 clicks from my 100 yard zero and I'm ready to go :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Back home from my first ever 600 yd match. Took the No-gas ARP 20" and 80 ELD-M handloads.
Was the only one shooting with a sling and a glove and my home built AR. I got a single 'X' so I'm happy :)
aggregate score for 60 shots was 481 (80.17%).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Anyone shooting the telephone pole Ballistic Advantage 24" barrel 22 Nosler?
What kind of accuracy and is the extra length worth it?
BA has stopped making their shorter barrels in 22 Nosler and have the 24 inch at near give away prices
FINALLY to the Range with the BA barrel.
First off accuracy limit was probably mostly ME. The 24" BA shot at least as good as the 20" ARP at 100 yards.
Hard to tell with one day, and I only shot the 24" yesterday. Velocity with 80gr (Amax and ELD) loads left over from previous tests the
24" got about 60fps over the 3R 20".
Here's a couple pictures that might be of interest.
Left over 22N CFE223 loads. These were the self imposed upper limit loads that started flattening primers.
80 AMAX (marked Green) loaded close to the lands, and 80ELD (marked Red) loaded to same length. THis shows I might need to shorted the AMAX a little

I also ran an IMR4350 ladder with 22N cases.

·
Registered
587 Posts
ERROR in post:
See, can't even keep my posts straight.
This was an IMR4350 ladder, 22N cases, 80 ELD, CCI450.
2.470" OAL
-----IMR4350-----IMR4350-----IMR4350----
Load started at 30.75grs and went UP.

Groups were better around 2950 to 2970 though.
9 round row at the bottom was 3 @ :), 3 at + a little :) , and [email protected] a little more :).
Marked 3 rounds averaged 3020fps

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
I loaded up some NOSGAR cases, 80ELD, CFE223, about a half grain less than the 22N loads.
Got mid 2900's, about the same as the 22N loads..
BUT from my notes, I fired the first 10, the second 10, the 3rd 10, then changed from the 6.8 bolt to the 5.56 bolt for the rest of the day.
All thirty rounds were shot with the 6.8 bolt, yikes, but had NO extraction issues.
If you carry both, pay better attention than I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
and just for fun, steel plate at 100yds, 80Grain AMax.
Tried to 'paint a cross' , didn't come out so good.
:(

I have one more chance to practice for a 450yd, prone, sling event at the end of the month.
Will load some 22N cases with 80ELD with CFE223 and with IMR4350.
This time I will only take 22N cases. I have a load with each that seems to work.

I'll try and work some more with the NOSGAR cases this summer and try the 85gr RDF.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes, single loaded.
With the CFE223 loads I tried dropping the loads about 1/2 grain for the Nosgar. It has about 1 gr less capacity.
Just guessing, but seems about right.

Will do more after my trip. For now I have more load info for the 80ELD and it has close to the same B.C.
The little extra velocity won't matter much @ 450yds.

Probably not try hot loads at mag length. Mostly shoot 100 yards at mag length.
During the summer I'll try to make it to the 600 yd range in Ms. again. Paid dues, might as well :)

Maybe be able to see how the 80 Vs 85 do.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dam that's fast, supersonic for how long?

Well, if you can believe the .498 B.C., over the course.

Using a calculator, an 85gr, .498 G1, starting out at 2930fps, down south :)
11 ft elevation, 85F (mornings before it gets hot), 28.8 in Hg (typical low),
75%RH (dry for us), then Mach 1.1 (transonic) is out past 1200 yds.

Sure, I believe that :a26:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts