·
Premium Member
18,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
18,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rebated rim may be so it will work in bolt guns without having to make a 6.8 sized bolt face I get that but they says this was made for ARs.
Next Nosler can't make 6.8 brass so are they just going to crap on the 6.8 and make other brass? Oh wait ...Nosler didn't design the 6.8.
26 Nosler, 22 Nosler ...wonder if Remingtons engineers moved to Nosler.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It appears they grabbed the HAGAR case as their base. I would guess they figure there are plenty of 223 bolts out there and they were playing to that. Just like when the 6 PPC hit BR in the beginning many guys rebated the rim to 223 because 6PPC bolt face sized rifles were not common.

Greg

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Wonder if this was nosler's idea when they bought ssa? Get the tooling for 6.8 brass, then slightly change it up for rebated rim and longer length...all the while planning on dropping the 6.8 line up to help promote their new nosler 22?

·
Premium Member
18,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if this was nosler's idea when they bought ssa? Get the tooling for 6.8 brass, then slightly change it up for rebates rim and longer length...all the while planning on dropping the 6.8 line up to help promote their new nosler 22?
Looks and sounds more like Remington every day.
I never thought being able to pull the bolt out of a .223 and sticking in another rifle to go shoot would be such a huge selling point. But I'll swear the first thing out of every 300BO owners mouth is that. If they can't afford another bolt why build another rifle?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Why o why would Nosler make a 22 cal cat based on the 6.8 case then rebate the rim and make the case longer so the 80 and 90r bullets could not be used in it? I understand light varmint bullets but it would have been much more versatile if long bullets could have been used in it.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...to-rifles/15301335-new-for-2017-the-22-nosler
I saw that thread a few days ago. Thought it was a joke when I saw the rebated rim. Then I saw the case was the same length as a .223 and really had a good laugh...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a question. Could someone swap a 223 bolt into their 6.8 rifle and use this brass to form 6.8 cases. I'm not saying that would be a good idea. Not by a long shot. But I wonder if perhaps you'll see a 277 nosler that exactly duplicates a 6.8 other than using 223 bolts. With the proper marketing it would be a huge success. It takes the entire argument out of the blackout. They always say. Well the bo uses 223 bolts. What would it leave them with if the 6.8 did. There is really nothing left for them to hang their hat on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a question. Could someone swap a 223 bolt into their 6.8 rifle and use this brass to form 6.8 cases. I'm not saying that would be a good idea. Not by a long shot. But I wonder if perhaps you'll see a 277 nosler that exactly duplicates a 6.8 other than using 223 bolts. With the proper marketing it would be a huge success. It takes the entire argument out of the blackout. They always say. Well the bo uses 223 bolts. What would it leave them with if the 6.8 did. There is really nothing left for them to hang their hat on.
I would think a 6.8 with a super-bolt would be stronger than a 22 Nosler with a standard Carp 158 bolt. Rebated rims still have more bolt thrust.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would think a 6.8 with a super-bolt would be stronger than a 22 Nosler with a standard Carp 158 bolt. Rebated rims still have more bolt thrust.
True. But not everyone is running superbolts either. Standard 6.8 bolts hold up just fine. This would just be a way for nosler to stamp their name on a product. Kind of like 243 and 6mm. Really no reason for the 2 cartridges other than winchester didn't want to stamp remington on their guns and ammo. With the right advertising it could be a success. Not saying it was the best choice or necessary. But if it sells is all they care about.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I understand that we would all like to see nosler to embrace the 6.8. But I still feel this is a smart decision for them from a business standpoint. Look how popular the 22-250 is. And it's not because people are shooting 70 and 80 gr bullets. This will make a wicked varmint ar. Plus this throws nosler more into the black rifle game. I'm still trying to stay positive. So far nosler has crapped on the 6.8 since buying ssa. But maybe they'll see the potential. A lot of companies are slow to embrace the black rifles. This could be the start of a good thing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nosler will be the only source for ammo or brass. The rebated rims keep reloaders from making their own brass.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
They are selling barrels and uppers on Midway. MidSouth has brass and dies and. I have never seen a roll out on a cartridge in years that was done as smoothly as this one. Usually we are waiting six months to a year before we see anything in the wild for us to play with.

Greg

1 - 20 of 405 Posts