6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I've scoured the forums and web to find what I can on mag feeding issues with the 22 Nosler. I've built several of them with Aero Lowers and uppers and a variety of barrels - but most BSF. I've taken to building dummy rounds to test mag feeding prior to range testing out of absolute frustration.

Almost all 10 round mags seem to be no issue at all. 6.8 mags or 6.5 Grendel mags from PRI, ASC, and others.

But, then it goes haywire with no consistency. I've ready many posts where someone has a mag that works fine. But I have the same brand, capacity, etc. in multiples - one is fine the other not. I've examined, measured, etc. and simply cannot find any objective reason.

What happens? Mostly two things. Usually the bullet tip stovepipes right below the feed ramp. The other is when the bolt rides over that stupid rebated rim, hits the body, crushes it and jams. That happens when feeding on the right (high side of follower) and usually when it is the second to last round. It appears to not push the head of the cartridge up enough for the bolt to grab it.

Mind you, I have a box with 20+ various 6.8 mags and have managed to get two of the larger mags to work. For one, I load two under "capacity" - so in these 20 rounders I load 18. One is an Elander 20 round 22 nosler mag. One is a 20-round curved duramag. Like I said, most 10 rounders are fine.

Anyone know of definitive explanations available for what is going on? I've built over 50 rifles in almost every AR15 and AR10 caliber and never had these issues except with the 22 Nosler.

Why don't I give up? This is the perfect coyote rifle for our area. 55 Nosler BT at 3,750 in the 24" BSF with under 1 MOA with a Pulsar thermal scope.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Dary, thanks for your detailed description. I've had similar issues with some 6.8/Valkyrie and Grendel magazines. The ones I have used are ACS, Pri, Stoner, E-Lander, C-Mag, and feedback from others using the new Grendel Amend2 magazines when they were trying to solve feeding issues with a bolt action that used AR magazines. Here are all the issues I have had and some techniques I used to improve feeding. I will sometimes just say 6.8mm but will also apply to Valkyrie and 22 Nosler rounds inserted into the magazine. Note, the ASC 6.8 and Grendel mags I have are identical except for the color and label on the follower.

Here we go -

I polish my feed ramps, have you? The bullet tips can catch the small seam between the lower receiver and the barrel extension and can jam back into the case.

6.8mm AR-Stoner. Jams were being caused because the front was not recessed low enough to allow a clean feed. The case month would hang up/catch on the magazine's front wall. Grinding/cutting down the front to give more clearance resolved this issue.

Feeding from ASC, C-Mag, Stoner can be helped by flaring the feed lips. It may help with other metal mags, I just haven't had to use this technique on the couple Pri-mags i have. E-Lander will not benefit from flaring for 6.8 and 22 Nosler rounds which I will explain later. The flare the magazine's feel lips, I use needle-nose pliers and just gently "roll" the lip to the outside. I try and get the nose of the bullet to sit at least a 1/10 of an inch higher than level with a goal of 0.15".

Wood Bottle Metal Human leg Auto part

Automotive lighting Rectangle Tin Material property Bullet

continued

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I have the 17-round E-Lander (Alexander) Grendel magazines. You called them 20-rounders. I also get 18 6.8 or Valkyrie rounds in them. I found the front edge of the magazine will actually hold the 6.8 and 22 Nosler rounds low and not touching the feed lips. In my situation, the 2nd to last round would mechanically lock with the last round in the magazine because the last round nose-dived lower in the magazine than previous rounds. This mechanical lock was all internal to the magazine. I have not worked to resolve this one but could grind off the front lip that his holding the case down.

Liquid Eyelash Cosmetics Lipstick Font

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The 10-round Amend 2 Grendel magazines do not have the issue the E-Lander mags have because they feed from a single stack.

The 25-round ASC with flared feed lips have worked the best in my Valkyrie. The curved magazine may be a benefit compared to the straight 15-rounders.

I do have some variation within the same manufacturer's mags so mark the ones that feed without issue as "GOOD". You may want to do that with your stockpile.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I cannot help you with the issue of the bolt failing to pick-up the rebated rim and jam on-top of the round. I looked into buying a 22 Nosler before I decided on the Valkyrie. I saw too many issues like what you are experiencing. I also looked into using Hornady's 6mm Hagar brass which would solve your issue of not picking up the rebated rim but the Hagar brass has over a grain less capacity. When I found I was getting 3400 fps with 55 E-tips with Federal brass in my 20-inch Valkyrie there just didn't seem to be worth all the hassle and issues for a little more velocity. Plus I can shoot the 80gr VLD bullets out to 1000 yards when I want to do long-range.

I know what you what you mean about great for coyotes. My Valkyries have the trajectory of a laser beam and hold 1/2 moa out to 1000 yards.

Hope this helps. I would appreciate knowing if you make any headway as your findings could help others including me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dary, thanks for your detailed description. I've had similar issues with some 6.8/Valkyrie and Grendel magazines. The ones I have used are ACS, Pri, Stoner, E-Lander, C-Mag, and feedback from others using the new Grendel Amend2 magazines when they were trying to solve feeding issues with a bolt action that used AR magazines. Here are all the issues I have had and some techniques I used to improve feeding. I will sometimes just say 6.8mm but will also apply to Valkyrie and 22 Nosler rounds inserted into the magazine. Note, the ASC 6.8 and Grendel mags I have are identical except for the color and label on the follower.

Here we go -

I polish my feed ramps, have you? The bullet tips can catch the small seam between the lower receiver and the barrel extension and can jam back into the case.

6.8mm AR-Stoner. Jams were being caused because the front was not recessed low enough to allow a clean feed. The case month would hang up/catch on the magazine's front wall. Grinding/cutting down the front to give more clearance resolved this issue.

Feeding from ASC, C-Mag, Stoner can be helped by flaring the feed lips. It may help with other metal mags, I just haven't had to use this technique on the couple Pri-mags i have. E-Lander will not benefit from flaring for 6.8 and 22 Nosler rounds which I will explain later. The flare the magazine's feel lips, I use needle-nose pliers and just gently "roll" the lip to the outside. I try and get the nose of the bullet to sit at least a 1/10 of an inch higher than level with a goal of 0.15".

View attachment 77490

View attachment 77491

continued
Thanks so much. Yes, I polish the barrel feed ramps before installation usually. Then, from frustration, I also polished the receiver. In this case, no difference. I've tried bending the lips but seemed to cause more problems than it solved for me. It actually caused the issue with the bolt sliding over the rebated rim to be worse because the raised tip forced the head of the cartidge down.

I've had very minimal issues with the 6.8 SPC - almost all frustrations are on the 22 NOsler.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I resisted saying it but consider getting a 24" Valkyrie barrel and your issues should go away with almost identical performance. Starline brass has been in-stock for it which I think is the best Valkyrie brass. All the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I resisted saying it but consider getting a 24" Valkyrie barrel and your issues should go away with almost identical performance. Starline brass has been in-stock for it which I think is the best Valkyrie brass. All the best.
Yes there are definitely other alternatives but in the 15 platform I don't think anything is going to get the 55 grain nosler BT at 3,750 ft per second. I have a 224 Valkyrie with a 75 grain eldm load that is very accurate and feeds with no problem but nothing puts the coyote down for us in our area like these nosler BT at high velocity. My other option is the 22 creedmoor that I have with an 18 inch barrel can get 3,850 ft per second but it's a couple pounds heavier.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The Nosler BT sounds good. I use the 55 E-tip because I also have to dispatch hogs. Inside 100 yards, the E-tip sheds its petals and causes massive wound channels, maybe similar to Nos BT. With the E-tip at these ranges, it overpressures coyotes and blows the inside out both ends and vapor streaming out the entrance and exit wounds.

You have some great options. Hope you get the feeding issues under control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts