6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a 22 Hornet the other day, its a single shot Savage with the "accu-trigger" the trigger is not nearly as good as Savage claims in my opinion but its better then some to be sure.

Anyways, who here has or has owned a 22 Hornet, thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cold said:
I acquired a 22 Hornet the other day, its a single shot Savage with the "accu-trigger" the trigger is not nearly as good as Savage claims in my opinion but its better then some to be sure.

I've never owned one. I know from reading several magazine articles and reloading manuals that the Hornet is finicky. Once a load is worked out they can be a pretty good short range varmint gun.

They can be reamed out to a 22 K-Hornet. That's a blown out case with a sharp shoulder. From what I understand the K-Hornet is easier on cases and easier to finds loads for.

Ros Seyfried did a two part write up on the 22 Hornet in Rifle Magazine #193 and Handloader #209 (2/2001). I braved the archives, otherwise known as the deep dark recesses of my garage, and dug them up.

I scanned them into a Word Document. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you both articles.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zeke Menuar said:
Cold said:

I've never owned one. I know from reading several magazine articles and reloading manuals that the Hornet is finicky. Once a load is worked out they can be a pretty good short range varmint gun.

They can be reamed out to a 22 K-Hornet. That's a blown out case with a sharp shoulder. From what I understand the K-Hornet is easier on cases and easier to finds loads for.

Ros Seyfried did a two part write up on the 22 Hornet in Rifle Magazine #193 and Handloader #209 (2/2001). I braved the archives, otherwise known as the deep dark recesses of my garage, and dug them up.

I scanned them into a Word Document. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you both articles.

Thank you sir!

I will post a photo of the gun tomorrow!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet. It is very accurate. I have used it a lot for short range (up to about 150 yards) small varmits. It is very good for shooting where you don't have a lot of open space. If you use the regular HP bullets you will never get a ricochet. The HP's even explode on a cardboard target. You will hardly ever get the bullet to exit the body even on small varmits. It just explodes upon impact. If you reload, be very careful when seating the bullet. The case has very thin walls and if you don't get the bullet started just right, the case will collapse. I have had a lot of fun over the years with my Ruger and I am sure you will enjoy your 22 Hornet. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts