6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 204 Ruger for a forum member, 18 inch Wilson Combat match grade barrel, 2A Balios receiver set and handguard. It will be awesome.

I have 4 extra completed lowers and 3 extra upper receivers, everything except a barrel.

I have been looking at both the 204 Ruger and another 223/556 barrel to shoot 35 to 40 grain at higher velocities. All my 223 wylde barrels are 7 and 8 twist, they shoot the 52 grain SMKs at half MOA and better.

What twist barrel should I get if I do go with the 223 shooting sub 40 grain bullets around 3700 fps?

·
Registered
39 Posts
At one time we made 1:12 twist .223 uppers using Pac-Nor stainless super match barrel blanks and they shot extremely well with bullets in the 40-60 grain range. I never tried them with bullets under 40 grains.

I imagine if everything you plan to shoot is under 40 grains, you could run 1:14 or maybe even 1:16.
I'm not sure how long the sub-40 bullets are. If they are monolithic (Barnes type) they might be longer than expected and need a bit more twist.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
At one time we made 1:12 twist .223 uppers using Pac-Nor stainless super match barrel blanks and they shot extremely well with bullets in the 40-60 grain range. I never tried them with bullets under 40 grains.

I imagine if everything you plan to shoot is under 40 grains, you could run 1:14 or maybe even 1:16.
I'm not sure how long the sub-40 bullets are. If they are monolithic (Barnes type) they might be longer than expected and need a bit more twist.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
I have a savage 22-250 with 1:14 twist---it loves the 52/53 grain bullets--- I have shot up to 63 grain and down to 40 grain with decent accuracy (all within 1moa), but those 52/53 grain bullets just shine in that gun ----but the bullets in a 22-250 stabilize a little better than a 223 due to the velocities reached

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For a barrel dedicated to only light bullets, I'd go 1:12. But if you're looking for a varmint gun, why not go for 20 practical? Still can shoot 39-40 grain bullets, but with a better BC and can push them just as fast. 32gr can get up to 4100fps.

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far I haven't had much luck finding the 1/12/and 1/14 twist 223/556 barrels. Custom barrels are way over the price of the Wilson Combat 204 Ruger barrel. At $324 that barrel seems to be a great price for a 204 match grade barrel.

Also looked at the factory bullets 45 grains and lighter in 223, $$$ as over a buck a round.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I am building a 204 Ruger for a forum member, 18 inch Wilson Combat match grade barrel, 2A Balios receiver set and handguard. It will be awesome.

I have 4 extra completed lowers and 3 extra upper receivers, everything except a barrel.

I have been looking at both the 204 Ruger and another 223/556 barrel to shoot 35 to 40 grain at higher velocities. All my 223 wylde barrels are 7 and 8 twist, they shoot the 52 grain SMKs at half MOA and better.

What twist barrel should I get if I do go with the 223 shooting sub 40 grain bullets around 3700 fps?
I have a 204 Ruger with the Wilson 18" barrel on it. It likes pretty much anything I have tried in it bullet weight wise. It does however like the 32gr pills at as high a velocity as you can load them with and stay out of pressure signs. It loves 8208 XBR, not so much H335 with 32's. Loading the lightweights at mid loads didn't produce very good accuracy overall. Pretty much MOA. 75% better at higher velocities .3gr below pressure signs. 40's and some 45's I bought shoot the best at mid ranges. Don't pick up brass right after ejection unless you just like to have your fingers burned. About 75% of my ejected brass into my brass catcher melts the necks to the webbing from about the third shot out. When shooting squirrels I went to dump the brass catcher and only a few came out. Makes a mess of the brass necks to. Melted plastic is a PITA to get off them.

I tried some 32gr Hornady Super Performance crap in mine right after I built it. Don't waste your money. The barrel just won't shoot it. MOA plus fliers. Good thing the brass is good stuff. Fact is, I haven't found any of that stuff to be very accurate in any of my calibers they make it for. So much for "Super Performance" LOL.

My next experiment with mine is with some Barnes 26gr Varmint Grenades I picked up in prep for the CA lead bullet ban. Those should be real screamers on varmints. I hear they make them disappear when they hit them. Barnes has a video showing them disintegrating when they impact a cherry tomato and making squirrels vanish in a puff of red......very cool. Barnes load data shows as high as 4200 FPS but, you won't get that out of a gas gun or an 18" barrel. Probably about 4000+ with AR capable loads though.

One disadvantage with 204 Ruger is finding brass. It's not very readily available for any price that could be considered remotely reasonable. About $.50 a case is about as low as you can expect. It may be because, I understand, it's hard on brass. Nosler had a bunch of blem brass they closed out a few months ago and I bought a bunch.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just checked Green Mountain, they have 1/14 & 1/12 barrels in .223 wylde. I've used their rim fire barrels for years and have always been very pleased with them.

-Alexander

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.