6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new and unfired upper for sale. The barrel is a DPMS 20" with a 1-11 twist barrel. Clark custom spiral carbon fiber handguard ,A3 flat top receiver.

$400 delivered to the lower 48 states
$550 delivered with Bolt Carrier and charging handle

Before I get a million emails as to what chamber it has. here is a pic of a Chamber cast I made with Cerrosafe. From the end of the chamber to the beginning of the rifling is approximately .100 . I don't have a drawing of the improved chamber so draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That concurs with the info we have from DPMS and others.

A fellow member Moose Hunter has one the same as this. He did have the lead extended to DMR spec which was very simple to do or have done. His groups from 250 yards with SSA Combat 115 SMK was .850 as close as I can tell from his ruler. That is true sub .5 moa Found here http://68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2153.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim_W said:

A fellow member Moose Hunter has one the same as this. He did have the lead extended to DMR spec which was very simple to do or have done. His groups from 250 yards with SSA Combat 115 SMK was .850 as close as I can tell from his ruler. That is true sub .5 moa Found here http://68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2153.

The one that I have fired shoots so good that I don't want to deepen the throat on it . It took a few rounds to break it in and find the right load but it shoots sub MOA with my handloads so I'm a happy camper. I have access to a .270 throating reamer so it would be no problem to extend the throat. I don't shoot the SSA Combat in mine so its not an issue with me. I Think that I will put another one together and play with the length of the lead. If your not interested in Hot rodding it I think that the standard SAAMI chamber with the shorter throat is better for accuracy with the lighter 90gr bullets.

·
Registered
674 Posts
riflecrank said:
Tim_W said:

The one that I have fired shoots so good that I don't want to deepen the throat on it . It took a few rounds to break it in and find the right load but it shoots sub MOA with my handloads so I'm a happy camper. I have access to a .270 throating reamer so it would be no problem to extend the throat. I don't shoot the SSA Combat in mine so its not an issue with me. I Think that I will put another one together and play with the length of the lead. If your not interested in Hot rodding it I think that the standard SAAMI chamber with the shorter throat is better for accuracy with the lighter 90gr bullets.
Tim is correct, my upper sports this exact same barrel (less the custom chamber).

Not being set up for hand loading (yet) I was not able to shoot anything lighter than the 110gr factory loads you could pick up at your local fun store. I really wish I could have as it would have added a new dimension to the developement of my own personal rifle.

The fact your barrel has the SAAMI chamber should in no way deter anyone from purchasing your upper. If that person wants to shoot lighter pills, they'd be dialed in using your recipe for sub MOA accuracy. However, if the new owner DID want to get into the higher pressure loads, like those offered by SSA, the DMR chamber conversion is simple and really quite painless.

If I was building another 20" gun, knowing what I know now, I'd be all over this deal!!! That's a very attractive price attached to a very nice piece of equipment!! It should sell quickly!!

For those of you concerned about the SAAMI chamber, feel free to shoot me a I.M. and i'll be more than happy to relate my personal experiences with both the original chambering and the new DMR chambering.

Good luck on your sale!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts