6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest for a lower receiver, I actually found one locally!!! Decent price, already had an LPK installed... AND it had a 5.56 upper slapped on top of it!! :lol: :lol: My buddy at the "toy store" twisted my arm.... I'm such a sucker sometimes!! :roll: And yes... For the record!! I still believe 5.56 is NOT enough!!! :wink:

Anywho... It's a Stag Arms Model 2 M4 style that I'd like to throw a few "fun" parts at it. I have a spare CTR stock, and will just leave this one iron sites for now. I'll admit it... Just for the "feel" and a few "tacticool" points, I'd like to swap out the plastic hand guards for a set of the two piece "easy on" rail systems or something of that nature... Honestly, I'd like to go with a one piece rail but lack a few of the necessary tools to complete the task CORRECTLY...

Does anyone here have any experience with these "bolt on" rails?
I see a few manufacturers claim theirs to be a free float design. Should I believe this?
Are there other options besides the standard rails?

Your experiences and opinions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you want to get an FF Rail that requires no tools, get the DD Omega Rail. If you want an FF Rail that only requires you to dremmel the Delta Ring, get a Troy/MI/Samson.

If you want a non-FF drop-in rail, get a Troy DI, Samson, YHM, Surefire, or MI.

If money is no issue, I'd get the DD Omega Rail or the Troy/MI/amson.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Midwest Industries free float rails are two piece and pretty easy to install and they're priced competitively too. You have to dremel the delta ring and springs off though, or cut them off any way you see fit. They have one that has side rails that wrap around the front sight post if you want longer rails on the sides.

Paulo is right, the DD Omega's are the least evasive to install and the easiest. You literally pop off the stock handguards and bolt the Omega on.

·
Registered
901 Posts
paulosantos said:
If you want to get an FF Rail that requires no tools, get the DD Omega Rail. If you want an FF Rail that only requires you to dremmel the Delta Ring, get a Troy/MI/Samson.

If you want a non-FF drop-in rail, get a Troy DI, Samson, YHM, Surefire, or MI.

If money is no issue, I'd get the DD Omega Rail or the Troy/MI/amson.
+1 on the DD Omega and the MI
I have both and are solid rails. I think that I'd have to give the edge to the DD.
My opinion.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the DD Omega may be my first choice... BUT... what about the Vltor CASV-EL? Different look and it's said to be quite ridged. I have two of Vltor's VIS uppers and if it's only half that quality, I'd be more than happy!! IIRC... Isn't HTR running one of these CASV deals on his combat hog gun?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
moose-hunter said:
I think the DD Omega may be my first choice... BUT... what about the Vltor CASV-EL? Different look and it's said to be quite ridged. I have two of Vltor's VIS uppers and if it's only half that quality, I'd be more than happy!! IIRC... Isn't HTR running one of these CASV deals on his combat hog gun?
Yes they are also a agreat choice. The only thing is that they will raise your optic 1/2".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts