6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot two hogs at different locations this weekend. Both were about 75-80lbs boars, and both were taken with 110gr Barnes TSX ammunition from SSA (Commercial loads).

#1) Taken at about 20yds through thick brush with iron sights. Direct frontal shot. The hog collapsed immediately. The bullet did not exit.

#2) Taken at about 55yds using a scope. This was a front quartering shot which entered the lower front shoulder, and exited about ½ way back on the opposite side of the abdomen. I usually aim for just behind the ear, but I remembered someone on this forum wanting to know how the Barnes TSX works on a shoulder hit to a hog...so that's what I went for. Just wish it would have been a larger hog and a true broadside hit...would have been more telling of the performance of the TSX. The hog ran about 20yds and collapsed. Later I discovered that this hog did not have one of it's hind legs...it appears to have been lost, and likely was shot off at some point earlier...so the fact that this hog ran 20yds after being hit is amazing...essentially on only two legs because one rear leg was already missing below the knee, and the opposite front shoulder was hit directly with the TSX...amazing how tough these things are...especially a small one like this.

Don't have pictures of the 1st one, but here's the 2nd:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice job.
I really want to go hog hunting

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did you end up recovering the projectile from the first hog ? I would like to see it if you have. well done on the 1 3/4 hogs :D .

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Good shooting, I cant wait for my hog hunt

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nice job. I just wish we had hogs around here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
very nice, I've not tried the 110gr TSX yet but my rifle will cloverleaf anything else I feed it. I'm gonna order some combat loads sometime this month and probably carry that for Big South Fork, TNs special boar season.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
congrats
we went out Friday night (son and I) and didn't see anything
did wack another corn thief though

·
Registered
39 Posts
Longboat said:
Damn.. I wish we had hogs in Virginia
Don't worry from what I've read about hogs you'll have plenty of em some day. Not long ago we all thought that there wern't any in Oregon. Now I know of some that were over the hills in E Oregon (the state tried to wipe them out from helicopters) and some more in my old stomping grounds somewhere around the Rogue, the local hunters are being tight lipped about the exact location.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I did not recover the bullet from the 1st one. I suspect it was pretty nasty in there. I was mainly doing hog eradication, and wasn't dead set on getting any meat out of the trip this time...especially since it was a frontal shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts