6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 1911. Never owned one. Any help would be appreciated I really am leaning toward the Springfield Operator or Kimber SIS. What you do guys have.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Checkout the Springfield Professional. Not cheap by any stretch but one o the finest and best put together 1911's IMO. If I ever have money that I don;t buy a AR with that is the gun I would get for sure.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have a Springfield stainless custom with some work done to it. nice piece

for carry or for fun?

if the latter the STI Spartan has an adjustable rear and fiber optic front stock for a smoking deal

stiguns.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
6.81stAR said:
Looking for a 1911. Never owned one. Any help would be appreciated I really am leaning toward the Springfield Operator or Kimber SIS. What you do guys have.
I like Colts -- and the Colt Gunsite is my favorite Government one. I carry a Colt Gunsite CCO which is a Commander slide on a lightweight Officer frame - and a Series 70 action. The Series 80 firing pin block on the Colt makes it hard to do trigger work.

My first 1911 was the cheapest Springfield which I shot 500 rounds thru and then took to a gunsmith. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a Colt -- they hold their value better. Almost any 1911 you'll have to break in and may need to tinker with to get it to be 100% reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a Kimber TLE II & Colt Commander 80 series both are good shooting but I tend to shoot and carry the Kimber more due to the night sights and I like the full size models. I've seen Kimbers at the gun shows for around $700 - $1000 depending on the model. I like the SIS line of pistols but the extra $$$ for the three letter slide serrations - more mags. Just my 2ct

·
Registered
589 Posts
Whenever I was active in IDPA, STI, Kimber, and Springfield. were the ones I saw shooters use at the range the most.

I also own a stainless 4" Dan Wesson Bobtail in 10mm. The "Bobtail" feature can spoil you with how good it feels in your hand. It's also made in
45 acp and 5" versions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a SS high polish Colt series 80 commander with a kimber .22 lr conversion kit and a Para-ordanance Warthog. the 3inch
double stack warthog carries the best, but have been looking real hard at the new para LDA PDA (.45 ACP).
Kimber makes one of the best on the market , but they are pricey.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Springfield 80's Edition and a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail (CBOB).
The Springfield is ok (a solid workhorse) but the DW is a remarkable piece of equipment for $ (mine also happens to be in 10mm).

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
6.81stAR said:
I like both brands. They are the companies who greatly closed the gap between production 1911's and custom shops.

I've handled both pistols and would suggest the Operator over the SIS, for one reason. I think grip or purchase on the slide of the Operator is better than the SIS. I found the "SIS" carved into the Kimber slide kind of slippery compared to the traditional slide serrations in the Springfield. If you had wet, sweaty, or bloody hands, manipulating the Kimber SIS slide could be more difficult. That's just my observation. I love Kimber, but would prefer one of the other Kimbers like the TLE, Warrior, etc.

My favorite handgun is a Les Baer 1911 that I saved up for. It's run like a thoroughbred through two defensive handgun classes. I'd like to add an Ed Brown Special Forces to the collection.

Then again Colt is bringing the Delta Elite 10mm back this fall. Collecting Colt 1911's is a good idea too. Can you tell I like 1911's?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either. Springfield and kimbers in that price range are all top quality. One of my favorites is a Desert Warrior.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Empty Brass said:
I dont think you can go wrong with either. Springfield and kimbers in that price range are all top quality. One of my favorites is a Desert Warrior.
I came so close to buying a Desert Warrior when they came out. I really needed to spend the money elsewhere at the time. A Warrior is still on the possible list after I finish a couple AR's I've been buying parts for.

There are so many good 1911's to choose from right now. I used to want a Delta Elite 10mm back in the day, and now Colt is bringing them back is cool.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I have a kimber warrior, I could take it or leave it, actually I would of rather spent the money on a couple more glocks.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
I have a kimber warrior, I could take it or leave it, actually I would of rather spent the money on a couple more glocks.
Sell it and buy Glocks. You shouldn't have any problem getting out of the Kimber if you don't want it. I've bought guns before and didn't like them or use them much and they just sit there. Actually, I'm thinking of moving a few items now that I rarely use to free up some dough for a couple AR's I'm building.

Hey 6.81stAR, Marinesg1012 may have a cool Kimber Warrior to sell... :D

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
The problem is I never sell guns, now that may change in the future but as of right now I will keep it and try to use it when I can. if I am shooting my 45's it goes to the range with me, and gets shot, but I put a lot more rounds down range with my Xd.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have Springfield Loaded that I carry had some work done on it in the beginning. Kimber Gold Match, Para limited P-14 with work done and three others, but these three are the ones I shoot weekly. Kimber's finish and fit is best, Para is the most accurate, Springfield I carry all the time, like a beater gun. If I go to the farm it goes. Most new 1911 will function flawlessly out of the box. That used to not be the case. My first 1911 all had to spend time with a gun smith. There just something about 1911's, there triggers are great, they feel great in your hand, and they have been around for ever. Now I love all my guns, especially my glocks and H&K's,ruger cowboy guns, there is just a place for each of them. I think you would be happy with any of the upper end guns your looking at. It's all personal taste for which one you like the best. I wish I was buying a new gun :( !!!! My wife thinks 57 is enough. I don't think it's the guns, I think it's the safes to put all the guns in. Good luck. Jason

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
57 guns? I don't think she'd notice "58". Go get another, she'll never find out. Trust me... :wink:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
She wouldn't notice the gun. She would notice the money missing! :D That's why you have to work out trades. Keep guns and trade other stuff!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally I am a fan of the Commander length 1911, have 2 Kimbers, had a Colt (sold it to get my 6.8 upper :mrgreen: ). The Commander is for me a good size for carry. If would love to have a CCO type, officer frame, commander length barrel.

If you can, shoot different ones. I have done that with several people, using different calibers and different weapons (make and style). A very good friend wanted a 9mm Glock, ended up with a Commander length .45 Kimber. There are some that want a 1911, buy one and hate it.....shoot as many different ones as you can before plunking down the cash.

As far as the trades Jason mentions, that is what "mad money" is for........................if she knew, I would be dead meat by now :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts