6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the 68 addiction was bad. I also thought I wanted a WC but the price point doesn’t make sense when there are so many solid options around $1k. Recently acquired the S&W E series with the scandium frame...weighs nearly the same as the officer sized ECO in a commander sized frame. Share your collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
SW1911s are very nice 1911s. I don’t work on them often because they don’t often need anything. Trigger jobs and sights are about it.

I did have a customer who wanted his SW1911 to have a BoMar rear adjustable sight. The rear sight cut on the SW1911 is cut deeper than the BoMar. So we thought outside the box.

First cut the dovetail so it was square so I could fill it easier.

Made a bar out of stainless stock, to be silver soldered in place.

Holding the stock in place to be silver soldered in place.

Soldered in place

Reshaped to be the same as the slide. Now it’s ready to cut for BoMar sight.

Machine works done.

The view from the guy who handles and works on nothing but 1911s daily.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
An Ed Brown I did a face lift on, purely aesthetic on this gun.

The list of work performed was:
- Flat top and serrate
- Flush cut slide stop and bevel frame
- Undercut trigger guard
- Bevel bottom edge of slide
- Deluxe magwell fit and blend
- Fit and blend fiber optic sight
- Ball cuts
- Blue entire gun

·
Registered
346 Posts
Luv it!!!

Great pics and showing the process and final result is very cool. Here are my 1911 style shooters. Top right is my late brothers Series 70. I would love to have someone show me how to take it apart, rebuild it. The EMPs (9mm and 40) are incredible and they are my primary carry. The Sig Extreme 4" is my baby and has a specific place it stays. you might wonder about the Sig P225. Not a 1911 BUT it is a single stack and is probably the best trainer I've ever used. Simple controls, manageable recoil.

1911 stuff.jpg

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great pics and showing the process and final result is very cool. Here are my 1911 style shooters. Top right is my late brothers Series 70. I would love to have someone show me how to take it apart, rebuild it. The EMPs (9mm and 40) are incredible and they are my primary carry. The Sig Extreme 4" is my baby and has a specific place it stays. you might wonder about the Sig P225. Not a 1911 BUT it is a single stack and is probably the best trainer I've ever used. Simple controls, manageable recoil.

View attachment 55491
What are you wanting to do to the series 70? Just a minor overhaul to replace weak springs? A basic trigger job? Or a full on match accurate rebuild?

Its a pretty straight forward process, you just have to pull a few pins and swap parts for the most part. There is a little fitting if you swap sear, thumb or grip safety. Depending on your goals the sear may just need polishing and hammer hooks shortened and swap out some springs. You can buy an ed brown sear jig from brownells for $50 to accomplish this. On most 1911 with solid bushings, you can get prefitted bushings from EGW just measure your slide and barrel. http://www.egwguns.com/bushings/ With the series 70 they have a different bushing style called a collet bushing that has 4 "fingers" instead of being solid. I believe you can have these converted over to solid bushing from EGW or MGW https://www.midwestgunworks.com/1911/barrel-bushing.html.

If you swap out the sear spring you may need to time it but there are videos on youtube about doing this. You will need a trigger pull gauge or in a pinch a decent fish scale can work as well.

Here is a link to a lot of info/history about the series 70 pistols.
http://sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
What are you wanting to do to the series 70? Just a minor overhaul to replace weak springs? A basic trigger job? Or a full on match accurate rebuild?

Its a pretty straight forward process, you just have to pull a few pins and swap parts for the most part. There is a little fitting if you swap sear, thumb or grip safety. Depending on your goals the sear may just need polishing and hammer hooks shortened and swap out some springs. You can buy an ed brown sear jig from brownells for $50 to accomplish this. On most 1911 with solid bushings, you can get prefitted bushings from EGW just measure your slide and barrel. http://www.egwguns.com/bushings/ With the series 70 they have a different bushing style called a collet bushing that has 4 "fingers" instead of being solid. I believe you can have these converted over to solid bushing from EGW or MGW https://www.midwestgunworks.com/1911/barrel-bushing.html.

If you swap out the sear spring you may need to time it but there are videos on youtube about doing this. You will need a trigger pull gauge or in a pinch a decent fish scale can work as well.

Here is a link to a lot of info/history about the series 70 pistols.
http://sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm
Nothing drops in and fits. Everything requires fitting and then once it’s they have to work together properly as well.

I deal with this a lot, customers swap parts and then the guns no longer reliable. Or just can’t fit the part properly themselves. Nothing on these guns are straight forward.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thank you for the info sfsmedic and sfs13.

I would like to take it apart and rebuild it. Does that mean to the frame?? I don't know Definitely looking to redo the main parts. Also want to Cerekote it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nothing drops in and fits. Everything requires fitting and then once it’s they have to work together properly as well.

I deal with this a lot, customers swap parts and then the guns no longer reliable. Or just can’t fit the part properly themselves. Nothing on these guns are straight forward.

Hence why I asked what he was wanting to do to it. You can swap springs out fairly easily if just wanting to "refresh" an old one so to speak. If you want to do a full out action job then yes you have to fit things. Now on some production models not all parts are fitted, such as barrel bushings etc. Some you can turn with a light press of the finger.

Thank you for the info sfsmedic and sfs13.

I would like to take it apart and rebuild it. Does that mean to the frame?? I don't know Definitely looking to redo the main parts. Also want to Cerekote it.

If you want to go all out, you can strip the frame and have it fitted for a high beavertail grip safety. Of course you will need a different hammer as well. If you like the spur hammer but are tired of the hammer bite, Pachmeyer makes a wider rubber coated grip safety that works with the spur hammer. I used one of these on an old GI model that I rebuilt but still wanted to be able to go back to original condition at a later date. If you are willing to learn to do some minor fitting yourself you can accomplish this fairly inexpensively. The jigs i mentioned have good instructions with them and are fairly easy to use.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hence why I asked what he was wanting to do to it. You can swap springs out fairly easily if just wanting to "refresh" an old one so to speak. If you want to do a full out action job then yes you have to fit things. Now on some production models not all parts are fitted, such as barrel bushings etc. Some you can turn with a light press of the finger.

If you want to go all out, you can strip the frame and have it fitted for a high beavertail grip safety. Of course you will need a different hammer as well. If you like the spur hammer but are tired of the hammer bite, Pachmeyer makes a wider rubber coated grip safety that works with the spur hammer. I used one of these on an old GI model that I rebuilt but still wanted to be able to go back to original condition at a later date. If you are willing to learn to do some minor fitting yourself you can accomplish this fairly inexpensively. The jigs i mentioned have good instructions with them and are fairly easy to use.

Awesome thanks so much guys. Once I finish up some builds I have pending that will be my next project.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My name is David and I have an addiction

A little late to this party, but I wanted to show how bad my problem is too. The two columns represent Her's and Mine. My wife's are on the right and I get the left overs on the left. The Sig 938 is just thrown in for kicks since it has all the same controls as a 1911 and from what I have been told, it is an updated version of the old Colt Mustang which was an attempt at a miniaturized 1911 in 9 mm and .380. The Sig is also my summer CC of choice. Winter time I sometimes "borrow" my wife's Kimber compact with the laser grip or my Kimber Eclipse with the laser grip. Much easier to conceal with heavier clothes on.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updated Family Photo

I added two more to the herd since last year and sold off all my plastic bricks. I hated them anyway. I’m also planning a video/write-up to compare all 5 of these 1911s at the range off of a bag at 25 yds with chrono speeds for 2-3 types of ammo. Another fun CoronaProject. Order of appearance (weight with empty magazine inserted). And yes...the colt combat commander is bright stainless...the ultimate in tactical because you can use it as a mirror to peak around corners or shave to make sure your P-Mask gets a good seal. Also wanted to show the Case Club locking hardcase, perfect for the range and the Vaultek Pod for CC lockers in vehicle for those looking for something similar.

All I need is one more 1911...

Springfield Armory Range Officer 5” (40.6 oz)
S&W E Series Lightweight Commander (29.3 oz)
Colt Combat Elite Commander (38.0 oz)
Colt Combat Commander (36.0 oz)
Dan Wesson ECO (27.1 oz)

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Colt I just finished for a customer. Nothing on this gun was straight.

The slide had a huge flat cut in it with a threaded hole that required welding up.

Here you can see the upward sweep of the slide just behind the front sight.

Rust pitting

More pics of the really misshapen top round of the slide due to liberal use of a buffing wheel at the factory.

Pics of the slide after I fixed everything above.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is amazing work. I don’t know how you do it but it’s an incredible skill.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SW1911s are very nice 1911s. I don’t work on them often because they don’t often need anything. Trigger jobs and sights are about it.

I did have a customer who wanted his SW1911 to have a BoMar rear adjustable sight. The rear sight cut on the SW1911 is cut deeper than the BoMar. So we thought outside the box.

First cut the dovetail so it was square so I could fill it easier.

Made a bar out of stainless stock, to be silver soldered in place.

Holding the stock in place to be silver soldered in place.

Soldered in place

Reshaped to be the same as the slide. Now it’s ready to cut for BoMar sight.

Machine works done.

The view from the guy who handles and works on nothing but 1911s daily.

·
Registered
83 Posts
An Ed Brown I did a face lift on, purely aesthetic on this gun.

The list of work performed was:
  • Flat top and serrate
  • Flush cut slide stop and bevel frame
  • Undercut trigger guard
  • Bevel bottom edge of slide
  • Deluxe magwell fit and blend
  • Fit and blend fiber optic sight
  • Ball cuts
  • Blue entire gun

That's sweet! The one thing that jumped out to me immediately is the bevel along the bottom of the slide where it meets the frame. Did you do that? I've never seen that before but I absolutely love it! That looks freaking sharp my friend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts