6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
One of my FAV stories that happened on Resurrection Sunday!

9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. 11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.
On the Road to Emmaus
13 Now that same day two of them (apostles) were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him.
17 He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?”
They stood still, their faces downcast. 18 One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?”
19 “What things?” he asked.
“About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”

25 And He said to them, "O foolish ones and tardy of heart to be believing on all which the prophets speak! 26 Must not the Christ be suffering these things, and be entering into His glory?" 27 And, beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, He interprets to them, in all the scriptures, that which concerns Himself.

Jesus knows these are the same apostles who earlier 'didn't believe', He appears to them on their way back to their home town from the Passover trip to Jerusalem, later he is with them in Emmaus, 7 miles from Jerusalem and just disappears and appears back in Jerusalem. v31

Please note: Jesus rebukes them with the words Foolish ones (or also translated "unintelligent") and Tardy (or also translated "dull") of "heart" to believe.
Biblically the heart is more or less what we now know the brain to be. That is, biblically when the word “heart” is used, it refers to that place in the human body where the mind and the intellect reside. In Yeshua’s era and for some few more hundreds of years, the seat of our various emotions was not thought to be our heart but rather they were divided up into several of our organs depending on the nature of the emotion. Never was the heart where the emotion of warm feelings towards others, or God, lived. The heart was thought to be the place of rational thought; the place where we perceived the world around us. Today, even though we know that no emotions or thinking whatsoever occur in the heart organ, the term “heart” has become a metaphor for a place of warm, loving feelings.
So if we were forced to choose only one English word to use instead of heart to understand what God’s Word was getting at when that word was used, the word would be “mind”.

Again, when the term heart is used in Holy Scripture, it is referring to the seat of intellect, the human mind (which during the entire Biblical era was believed to occur in the heart organ). Today we associate the mind with the brain. The brain and the head provide us with a number of stock images of the mind and its functions. So it comes as a surprise to many modern people that in the imagery of the Bible there is no awareness of the brain as the center of consciousness, thought or will. The processes of the “mind” are frequently associated with an organ that for us evokes the emotions, that is, the heart.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. 11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.
On the Road to Emmaus
13 Now that same day two of them (apostles) were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him.
They stood still, their faces downcast. 18 One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?”
“About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”

25 And He said to them, "O foolish ones and tardy of heart to be believing on all which the prophets speak! 26 Must not the Christ be suffering these things, and be entering into His glory?" 27 And, beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, He interprets to them, in all the scriptures, that which concerns Himself.

View attachment 69245

Jesus knows these are the same apostles who earlier 'didn't believe', He appears to them on their way back to their home town from the Passover trip to Jerusalem, later he is with them in Emmaus, 7 miles from Jerusalem and just disappears and appears back in Jerusalem. v31

Please note: Jesus rebukes them with the words Foolish ones (or also translated "unintelligent") and Tardy (or also translated "dull") of "heart" to believe.
Biblically the heart is more or less what we now know the brain to be. That is, biblically when the word “heart” is used, it refers to that place in the human body where the mind and the intellect reside. In Yeshua’s era and for some few more hundreds of years, the seat of our various emotions was not thought to be our heart but rather they were divided up into several of our organs depending on the nature of the emotion. Never was the heart where the emotion of warm feelings towards others, or God, lived. The heart was thought to be the place of rational thought; the place where we perceived the world around us. Today, even though we know that no emotions or thinking whatsoever occur in the heart organ, the term “heart” has become a metaphor for a place of warm, loving feelings.
So if we were forced to choose only one English word to use instead of heart to understand what God’s Word was getting at when that word was used, the word would be “mind”.

Again, when the term heart is used in Holy Scripture, it is referring to the seat of intellect, the human mind (which during the entire Biblical era was believed to occur in the heart organ). Today we associate the mind with the brain. The brain and the head provide us with a number of stock images of the mind and its functions. So it comes as a surprise to many modern people that in the imagery of the Bible there is no awareness of the brain as the center of consciousness, thought or will. The processes of the “mind” are frequently associated with an organ that for us evokes the emotions, that is, the heart.
21 says it is the third day since ...... It was said the day after the sabbath so the sabbath was the second day and the day before the sabbath ( Assuming sabbath being Saturday was Friday ) was one day after it happened so Thursday was the day it happened ,at least according to these two opastles .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, my story had a different point be had and that was the way Jesus visited these 2 guys who were distraught, who knew better but were acting like "it's all over now".
But He rebukes them by saying their FAITH should have been grounded in what they've read in all the scriptures and not in current circumstances.
Also remember it was Jesus himself that said this, Matt 12: 39-40.... …39 Jesus replied, “A wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

For me there would be no doubt that as Jesus was talking to these 2 on the road and going through all scriptures concerning Himself and his death, that He would have once again brought up the Jonah story.

I understand what you pointed out Ozarkpugs, and this is why some say this and others say that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
21 says it is the third day since ...... It was said the day after the sabbath so the sabbath was the second day and the day before the sabbath ( Assuming sabbath being Saturday was Friday ) was one day after it happened so Thursday was the day it happened ,at least according to these two opastles .

That is a very astute observation " it is the third day since all this took place." However, based on your logic that would make the crucifixion day Friday. Sunday 3rd, Saturday 2nd, and Friday 1st day at least by my thinking. This however, doesn't satisfy the 72 hours in the grave if you interpret Jonah's sign literally. Not debating either way.

I have never had anyone present the case that He was crucified on Wednesday. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. It has prompted me to study the possibility that it wasn't Friday. I can't positively say that it was not Wednesday, but still see Friday as my interpretation. I appreciate the input and explanations that have been offered.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. It has prompted me to study the possibility that it wasn't Friday. I can't positively say that it was not Wednesday, but still see Friday as my interpretation. I appreciate the input and explanations that have been offered.
Please excuse me if this is getting out of hand here in this wonderful Gun Community, I didn't mean to start anything that might be annoying anyone here.
I can offer a 4 part article on the very best explanation I have ever found in my search for answers of this topic...
4 easy to read PDFs , download them and TAKE YOUR TIME going thru them. No need to overwhelm yourself, that's probably why the author broke them up into 4 parts.
This is not a debate, nor is this "beyond a shadow of doubt", but it is very much backed by scripture and supported without distorting the Gospels.

And by all means, ask God to speak to you as you read them, not the author.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is a very astute observation " it is the third day since all this took place."
Yeah, that throws a wrench into my theory. It would appear that one of these sayings is an idiom or poorly translated from the original language into english. I don't subscribe to there being "contradictions" in scripture. Just misunderstandings by readers and translators.

I'll have to dig into those PDFs. Thanks for sharing! No harm, no foul. Carry on!

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It would appear that one of these sayings is an idiom or poorly translated from the original language into english. I don't subscribe to there being "contradictions" in scripture. Just misunderstandings by readers and translators.
Yeah me either, lets all try to remember that the REAL MIRACLE was based on a Jewish belief that only AFTER 3 full days was a body considered truly dead. In other words, anything less than 3 days dead could have been considered a coma, or something the person would actually wake up from... hence probably why even Jesus Himself said it had to be "as Jonah, 3 day and nights in the belly..."

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Three days ago would mean three days, three days passed means it happened one day and three days have gone by after it so 4 days ago. As others have said our understanding of time documentation and dialogue from that time causes confusion . If the jonah and the whale incident were to have been put down as a span of time I'm sure there would be debates about how long he was in the wale/ fish . Many people have turned away from the Bible because of the many discrepancies it seemingly holds and people's unwillingness to admit they may mean something different than they were taught.

·
Registered
58 Posts

On the Road to Emmaus

View attachment 69245

I always thought this was great scripture as well. Talking to men who thought whoa is me, all is lost. Jesus always sets them straight. What a patient and great God!

Reactions: zztopman1

·
Registered
347 Posts
He is risen! Hallelujah! He has conquered Hell, death and the grave and we serve a risen Savior!
Happy Resurrection Day!
Amen I say! Praise and Glory to our Lord and Savior.

Please excuse me if this is getting out of hand here in this wonderful Gun Community, I didn't mean to start anything that might be annoying anyone here.
I can offer a 4 part article on the very best explanation I have ever found in my search for answers of this topic...
4 easy to read PDFs , download them and TAKE YOUR TIME going thru them. No need to overwhelm yourself, that's probably why the author broke them up into 4 parts.
This is not a debate, nor is this "beyond a shadow of doubt", but it is very much backed by scripture and supported without distorting the Gospels.

And by all means, ask God to speak to you as you read them, not the author.

I have no issue with this. Thank you very much again for sharing this. I believe it's called spreading the gospel.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I thank God that the only requirement for salvation is to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and acknowledge Him as your Lord and Savior
That is a good way of putting it in your own words. Believe and confess. Of course Paul said believe that God raised him from the dead.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Remember theology, as it is important. Because you will have detractors pointing out the very obvious New Testament contradictions. Once a person actually reads all the text and accept what it says, not what you want it to say, one sees that God deals with different people in different ways in history. Including the New Testament churches. Israel the nation fell, and God called Paul to start another church which is the called by him "the Body of Christ", as we are baptized BY the Holy Spirit, into Christ. In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, man or woman. Paul was the first saved in such a way, according to his testimony, and backed by Simon bar Jonah, called Peter.

Reactions: zztopman1

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
No division or discord intended here on my part at all @Nick M , just tip bits to either help one grow in understanding and maybe seek more, or not.
You're exactly correct, it's NOT required for your salvation

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No division or discord intended here on my part at all @Nick M , just tip bits to either help one grow in understanding and maybe seek more, or not.
I didn't see division or discord. I have had to change what I believe in my life, when presented with new information that shows to be true.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, man or woman. Paul was the first saved in such a way, according to his testimony, and backed by Simon bar Jonah, called Peter.
This is what I mean. I am no Greek expert, but I know what a "prototype" is. And when I read what the experts say on it, the word "Protos" is first.

15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life

·
Super Moderator
22,178 Posts
This is what I mean. I am no Greek expert, but I know what a "prototype" is. And when I read what the experts say on it, the word "Protos" is first.

15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life
I believe that what Paul was implying with his words in vs. 15 "...of whom I am first.", before his conversion, when he was known as Saul of Tarsus, he persecuted Christians. I think he was declaring himself (when he was doing so) as the worst of, chief sinner, first in evil doings, etc. And, I think he was using the explanation of the mercy he'd received and the longsuffering of Jesus was a pattern of extension of God's Love and forgiveness. As humans, WE put degrees on sin, and we're most hard on ourselves when we're truly honest about it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think he was declaring himself (when he was doing so) as the worst of, chief sinner, first in evil doings,
Many say that, despite that fact that he says other wise. How is he the worst sinner? He was rotten, no doubt. Worse than others? No. That does not fit the context nor "as a pattern". Israelites had to endure to the end, keep all of the law, etc. Paul was baptized into Christ, were he could not die. He was the first.

16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life

If you notice, the red letters are quite a bit different than what Paul preaches. But what Paul preached was from the risen Lord Jesus Christ. And besides, "protos" means first, a prototype, the first like it. This is all of us today that are Christian.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts