6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ALVE8 and I went hog shooting this weekend he was using some hand loaded 110ttsx @ 2700fps and I was shooting 120sst's @ 2500fps. We ended up killing 17 hogs confirmed 255, 250, 230, 230, 230, 220, 210, 190, 180, 170, 150, 150, 140, 100, 100, 40, and 30 pounds. Only two were DRT from the 110ttsx the 180lb and a 220lb hog.

Now to be fair most of these hogs were running and at off angles but these were my observations nothing scientific. When a hog was hit with the ttsx there was no real slap from the hit. But when a hog was hit with the sst there was a good slap and no doubt you scored a hit. Also on the wounds the ttsx had .277 entrance and a dime exit. While the 120sst's wound's were massive. Almost every hog hit with an sst went down even gut shot while the barnes bullet seemed to just go straight through and not transfer the energy.

I know the ttsx is a great hunting bullet. It excels when you are taking that shot through the thick shoulder of a 300lb hog or big elk. But this weekend the 120sst was way more effective on stopping moving hogs at weird angles. Again nothing scientific but just what I observed.

120sst entrance through skull passes through the body and exits below 180lb sow

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have a question regarding this. We know the 110 TTSX was designed for the 270 and doesn't necessarily expand at slower speeds because of this which is why the 95TTSX was made for the 6.8. Do the SSTs open at slower speeds and possibly why the better wound instead of a pass through like the TTSX? Just a thought.

I've been getting ready to load some of the SSTs mostly because I can buy them at the local bass pro instead of needing to order them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
great job on hogs, thats and awesome weekend....

my observation is before though, I think if you want to keep meat with the SST, you have to neck shoot them as it does a great job at putting animals down....

I think he should try the 110gr TTSX from Wilson Combat that expand better at slower speeds, not that his speed is slow, I bet the bullet has good expansion and weight retention, I'm getting the SST is not holding its weight and fragmenting some, need to dig out those bullets one of these times and see what they look like

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bullets are passing through so no bullet to dig out. Only really craters when it hits thick bone but I still get exits then. Yes the 95 is designed to expand at lower speed and I think its a better bullet for the 6.8 than the 110. But at the ranges we were shooting this did not come into play.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Seems to me the two bullets are doing what they were designed to do. The 110 TTSX is designed to expand at higher velocities than the 6.8 can deliver, and is passing through w/o much expansion. The 120 SST is optimized to the 6.8 velocity envelope, and is expanding much faster. If you are meat hunting and concerned with tissue destruction, the SST may not be the best choice. But it would be my choice for hog and deer because I hate losing a wounded animal.
Ain't it great we get a choice?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Never got what I wanted out of the 110TSX.
You hit a hog with the 120SST and you know it! As well as the hog LOL.
85TSX does good but still nothing can compare to the 120SST.
Ive shot hogs with 4 different bullets and none compare to the SST in knockdown power and most importanly Price!!

It just seems that you need a good lead bullet to take down a running hog.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Texas Lawman, that's a good report and a good hunt. They SST's look like they hit them pretty hard.

SFSMedic, I wish I could pick up some SST's from my local BPS. I ordered mine from Graf's and Midway.

Elkbow, I think that 2700 fps is as fast as I would ever want to shoot a 110 grain projectile out of a 6.8 unless it's a really long barrel. Those loads have got to be pretty hot.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sst really only grenades at close range when hitting bone. Outside of 50 yards it dose quite well. It just seems to transfer energy better. I think you would be fine on deer if you take neck or heart shots if you hit shoulder well its going to damage a bunch of meat.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah I agree with texalawman..

Your only seeing these big exits on body shots or when you hit major bone.
Skull, shoulders and hips. I have pictures of all these hits were it causes massive holes.
And I have pictures were it just zipped in and zipped out

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics!! I've been trying to decide on the either the 95 TTSX or the 120 SST and this is some good food for thought!!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics!! I've been trying to decide on the either the 95 TTSX or the 120 SST and this is some good food for thought!!
You've got to change your avatar. I keep glancing at it and thinking its H talking then I realize it's not.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Here is what happened to a deer that I took last season with 120 SST handloads that was quartering to me.

I Phone Pics 2011 040.jpg I Phone Pics 2011 041.jpg

The bullet went hit in front of the left shoulder and came out between the back ribs on the other side. It left a smaller hole going out I guess because it didn't hit any bone. There was massive trauma in between and the deer dropped in it's tracks and twitched for a few seconds.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
I have about 150 more 110 TTSX and then switching to 95 TTSX which I have 200 of. Nice friggin bullets. Plus I have to contradict TEX. Mine are blue his are red.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No doubt the 110 and 95ttsx are great bullets. I really did not expect the difference in knock down results. I reload and my bullets are going 2500fps. From my understanding and from reading on here thats pretty close to the factory 120sst's. Colby isnt reloading, he was using the factory ammo. After what I saw this weekend Im even more sold on the sst's. ALVE8 and I will be going on a bunch more trips we can evaluate them further. But at basically two for one in cost I dont see myself switching any time soon. I have 150 95ttsx Ill be saving for a rainy day.

·
Registered
598 Posts
TEX, thanks for the post - good explanation. I am getting my stuff together to load some 120 gr sst's. There are plenty of black bear (under 400 lbs mostly) where I deer hunt and it is starting to sound like the sst's might have the best impact behavior/result for both species for my purposes. I still think the 95 ttsx has its purposes though and will order some of those as well to load up.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts