6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next upper will be a 11/1, gas piston, chrome lined barrel ( for easy cleaning ).

The purpose of this gun will be home defense and short to mid-range target shooting.

What I haven't decided is whether to go with the 16" mid-length or 14.5" carbine. I would like to have a Smith Vortex welded in to the carbine and have a more compact package.

For use at the range I also want to be able to easily change the 6.8 SPC barrel out for a .22 LR conversion. Is this possible with a gas piston 14.5"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
unless you have to have the look of the mil style rifle the 16inch gives you more and makes more sense then a 14.5 with a attached flash hider

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
16 midlength would be my vote. You have longer handguards, longer sight radius, better ballistics and you can disassemble the barrel easily without having to cut and drill through a pinned and welded flash suppressor like you would with the 14.5.

Agree with above, have a separate 22LR upper. Much easier to use and enjoy that way without tearing down the upper each time you want to switch calibers. Doesn't make sense to be bolting and unbolting barrels and taking apart the piston system and handguards each time you want to switch calibers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts