6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya'll,

Has anyone tried to load the 150 gr Fusions from the 130/150 gr grab bag by American Reloading? I'm guessing the bullet may be too long and doesn't expand at 6.8 SPC velocity, but just wondering if anyone has tried. Thanks in advance!

-Chester

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I have some 150 Fusions but have not loaded or tested them. You will likely have to load longer than magazine COALs with this bullet. The 130 grain Fusion bullets have expanded well out of a 6.8mm so expect this one would also. You can single load these or modify your set-up to allow loading long. Here is a link on loading long.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?44542-Longer-than-Magazine-COALs

Here is a link on shooting 150 grain bullets from a 6.8. Note the blue lines are powders with 150 grain bullets (not green). To get full potential from 150 grain bullets you will likely need an adjustable gas block because you will become over-gassed. Noticeably more recoil also.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthre...n-Competitions&p=662170&viewfull=1#post662170

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Xman! I will probably start loading long after I gain some more reloading experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
XMan -

in one of your posts you were testing a batch of 130gr bullets I believe the Sierra Prohunters came out ahead of the pack. You also tested the 130gr Fusions.

anyhow you mentioned that the 150gr Fusions would yield greater power /energy and you gave a formula.

can you educate me on the following:

federal is loading 115gr Fusions for the 6.8 - light bullet going fast...

you ou tested the 130gr and they did ok but I have a feeling you don't rate them as optimal....

due to your testing of 150gr RN - big bullet moving slow

id ask for your well experienced opinion with 6.8mm of the long debated light/fast vs big/slow for hog hunting 200 yards and in - formulas and data would be appreciated to illustrate.

i have 1500 150gr fusions that I was going to load in 270 Winchester but this thread got me to thinking maybe the 6.8 can do the duty inside of 200 yards in a lighter weight and higher capacity rifle....

BTW a guy named Snuffy on another forum downloaded. 308 Deep Curl (Speer predecessor to Federal Fusion) to simulate lower velocity to determine bullet disruption in testing media, the fusion opened up in 1800 fps range but the wound channel was skinny - me thinks hydrostatic shock would not be expected vs full velocity loading....

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534023

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
in one of your posts you were testing a batch of 130gr bullets I believe the Sierra Prohunters came out ahead of the pack. You also tested the 130gr Fusions.
Pig_Popper, the link below will take you to a thread on bullet terminal performance testing. Halfway down the first post you will find links to 130gr bullet tests. The 130 Sierra ProHunter was one of the most accurate bullets I have tested but did not expand/fragment well at 6.8mm velocities. The 130 Fusion demonstrated best in class expansion well below 2000 fps.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33178-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Performance

anyhow you mentioned that the 150gr Fusions would yield greater power /energy and you gave a formula.

can you educate me on the following:

federal is loading 115gr Fusions for the 6.8 - light bullet going fast...

you ou tested the 130gr and they did ok but I have a feeling you don't rate them as optimal....

due to your testing of 150gr RN - big bullet moving slow

id ask for your well experienced opinion with 6.8mm of the long debated light/fast vs big/slow for hog hunting 200 yards and in - formulas and data would be appreciated to illustrate.
The formula you are referring to is power factor which is a calculation used (mass * velocity) that shooting competitions use to determine class divisions. See this link.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthre...n-Competitions&p=643016&viewfull=1#post643016

Hunters are typically interested in kinetic energy (mass * velocity * velocity) upon impact. I use all range of weight bullets when I hunt with my 6.8 that I have confidence in their terminal performance, e.g., 85 TSX up to 150 Fed RN. I have no opinion on light/fast vs big/slow so long as the bullet is accurate, expands, and dumps its energy into the wound channel. I due prefer flatter trajectories so often use 100 to 110 grain bullets with a 200-yard zero. But I have carried the 150 RN into the field which meets my terminal performance objectives out to 200 yards within 2" of the line of sight.

We are lucky to have so many bullet options for the 6.8mm which I will refer you back to the first link where you can look at test data that can help you decide if a particular bullet has the terminal performance you are looking for with your expected hunting range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI...I received 97 150 gr and 520 130 gr Fusions from American Reloading (I used the 10% off coupon for more bullets)...not a bad grab for 49.99

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I got just over 200 of the 130's and just over 300 of the 150 Fusions in my grab bag.

Another member got almost all130s in his first bag but almost none of the 130s in his next bag.....it's a cr#p shoot on what you will get (why they call it a grab bag)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a 2.29 130 gr load and a 2.36 130 gr load that they would like to share? I've read all the posts, just wondering if anyone has a favorite load using CFE since the last posts. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a question about the diameter of the 130 gr fusions from American reloading. They measure 28 instead of 277. My 100 gr Speer hollowpoints measure 27 I switched to mm and the 100 gr measure 6.9 and the 130 gr measure 7.1. Sometimes up tob

I was having some trouble with a few seating. One even collapsed a case in. Is this a normal variance in bullet diameter?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Does anyone have a 2.29 130 gr load and a 2.36 130 gr load that they would like to share? I've read all the posts, just wondering if anyone has a favorite load using CFE since the last posts. Thanks in advance!

At 2.36 you could run up to 34.5gr of CFE in S&B brass max.
I suggest starting at 32gr and work up from there.
You will need to use a drop tube over 33gr.

Go slowly, be safe

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a question about the diameter of the 130 gr fusions from American reloading. They measure 28 instead of 277. My 100 gr Speer hollowpoints measure 27 I switched to mm and the 100 gr measure 6.9 and the 130 gr measure 7.1. Sometimes up tob

I was having some trouble with a few seating. One even collapsed a case in. Is this a normal variance in bullet diameter?

I just picked up 500 of the 130s so I"ll measure mine, too and report back.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Wandering when you bought yours? Was it recently? Seems a few months ago some 7mm fusions were sold from there as 270 and seem to remember some folks might have returned some.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
If your bullets measure .284 or close then stop, don't load them....I was one of the people that got a phone call from AR and they said to watch out because they mixed some 7mm .284") bullets in with the 270 (.277") .....if they are only measuring .280" then try zeroing your calipers or try a different set of calipers to double check your measurements

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Do your calipers only measure out to the hundredths? (.xx") You need a pair that measures to the thousandths (.xxx") or better to be making accurate measurements for reloading purposes 6.8 is the same as 270 so they should measure .277", 7mm would measure as .284" .

Don't shoot them if you aren't sure, a 7mm bullet down a 6.8 barrel could spell disaster for your gun and you

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Do your calipers only measure out to the hundredths? (.xx") You need a pair that measures to the thousandths (.xxx") or better to be making accurate measurements for reloading purposes 6.8 is the same as 270 so they should measure .277", 7mm would measure as .284" .

Don't shoot them if you aren't sure, a 7mm bullet down a 6.8 barrel could spell disaster for your gun and you

·
Registered
53 Posts

The 130 gr are .284 the 150 are .277. I bought the 130/150 mix. Bought them two weeks ago max, arrived Thursday last week.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

The 130 gr are .284 the 150 are .277. I bought the 130/150 mix. Bought them two weeks ago max, arrived Thursday last week.

Sounds like you need to call AR..... don't use those .284 bullets in 6.8 or any 270 caliber if they are actually 7mm bullets

It's always a good idea to double check the diameter and weight of pulled bullets, I have found stragglers in the past

·
Registered
266 Posts
What isn't making sense is that there is no 130gr .284 fusion.

There might be another bullet in the mix being sold as Fusion if your saying the .280 bullets are 130 grains.

I'm sure you'll receive no help from Federal being that I don't believe they are offering the Fusion bullet as a reloading component.

If you verify that the suspect bullets weigh 130 grains and are .280 + cut one open and try to separate the core from the jacket, if you can do that then you virtually prove them not to be Fusions

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
What isn't making sense is that there is no 130gr .284 fusion.

There might be another bullet in the mix being sold as Fusion if your saying the .280 bullets are 130 grains.

I'm sure you'll receive no help from Federal being that I don't believe they are offering the Fusion bullet as a reloading component.

If you verify that the suspect bullets weigh 130 grains and are .280 + cut one open and try to separate the core from the jacket, if you can do that then you virtually prove them not to be Fusions
correct, there is a 120gr and a 140 gr fusion in 7mm, but I don't see a 130 either ---do they actually weigh 130grains?

the only 130gr fusion that federal makes is in .277"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts