6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's loading info for 130 grain bullets, but I'm wondering if anyone has any hunting experience with them? I think they would be great for killing hogs. Running an LWRC and a Frankengun, both 6.8's.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Find out their minimum opening velocity if you are concerned with expansion. This is what you can use to figure your max range. Search Xman's thread on 130s....not sure if he tested the Grand Slam, but if he did there will be good info.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Hopefully, these links will still work in the new configuration.

130gr Bullet Testing; Hornady SST, Sierra Pro-Hunter, Nosler Ballistic Tip and E-Tip
6.8 SPC Bullet Performance
130gr Berger VLD
130gr Nosler Partition
130gr Sierra GameKing
130gr Federal Fusion, Remington Core-Lokt, and Speer Hot-Core
130gr Speer BTSP
130 Hornady InterLock and Woodleigh PP SN
130 Federal Flat-Base
130 Cutting Edge MTH

·
Registered
290 Posts
Note that back when Xman did his Federal Fusion 130 gr tests he used "pulls". Since then, Federal now offers the bullets as a component. Brownell has them for $29/100. These are really Speer GD's. I've shot a couple of deer with them & they seem to perform well but I haven't recovered any bullets. (BTW: thanks again to Xman for his extensive testing!)

·
Registered
290 Posts
As a Federal component, they only come in 130 gr & 150 gr, same as their loaded .270 Win ammo. As a Speer component bullet, .277 Gold-Dot's come in 90 gr & 115 gr. The 115 gr is an ideal game bullet in the 6.8 SPC IMHO.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
There was a 120gr prototype that was then sold through resellers very briefly several years ago. Seemed well received but not seen since. Should be some threads on the subject around here...

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
do they make a 120 grain? I've looked with no success. I'd like to give them a try. ... Are they discontinued?
Txmedic, as greentick said, the 120 grain fusion has been discontinued (or never made it into production). I've got around 200 of them. PM if you would like them.

Reactions: Txmedic1292
1 - 10 of 10 Posts