6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to give these pills a try since they are so cheap and must say I've been pleasantly surprised thus far. At first, I bought them for cheap plinkers, but now I'm considering switching over to them as my primary hunting round.

They are advertised as 130 grain "fused" soft points, but that's not really an accurate description as they average 128 grains and are definitely not "fused." That said, I think they are going to be a very viable option for the 6.8. First of all, they are a fairly short bullet, measuring an avg of 1.005in. Here's a picture of one standing next to a Hdy 120SST(1.122"):

I can't figure out the manufacturer of the pill based on appearance as they don't match any other common 130SPs in .277. The appearance is much like a 130 Remington CL, but the base is a bit more rounded like a Pro Hunter or Hot Core. The point is much like a protected point similar to the CL or Fusion vs common soft points with exposed lead. The jacket is similar to a PH or HC and has decent thickness measuring .025" from base to tip.
Here's a cross section displaying the jacket:

Here's a shot of the core removed from the jacket showing they are not "fused" or bonded:

They come in a quantity of 500 and are fairly clean from the start, but do have a bit of scratching from being pulled. I've purchased a quantity of 2,000 thus far during the past couple of sales AR has put on and ended up in them for approx. $8.40/100. Total cost per box of 20 loaded rounds is only running around $7 using AR's demilled virgin primed Federal cases, so you can see the appeal for a low cost round.

After only 30min in SS media, they come out looking brand new. Some have pull marks, but they are minor and shouldn't effect performance:

The cannelures are mostly in the same place as well:

Now comes the very surprising part. I ran a quick and dirty ladder with 4 powders to find pressure and the MVs were quite a bit higher than what I'm seeing with 120SSTs in this particular barrel. I'm using new Federal cases that are primed with Federal AR primers and have a HS of .007. These cases have commonly shown me pressure signs sooner than that of fire formed cases or SSA, yet I'm seeing very nice MV without common signs. My take on these results is simply due to the fact that they are a short bullet, weigh in at 128grn, and rob much less case capacity than the 120SST. When seated to 2.295 to fit ASC mags, the cans are just ahead of the mouth and the base is close to the neck/shoulder junction. Unlike 120SSTs where the base extends much further past that junction and robs more capacity. With 120 SSTs it hasn't mattered what powder I've tried, this barrel starts to show pressure at 2500-2550 depending on the powder.

Here's a shot of them seated at an oal of 2.295":

Here are the results of my first range session to find pressure. I plan to fine tune and chase accuracy on my next session.

FWIW the chrono was reading spot on with my pet loads with 120SSTs as well as 556 from two other rifles that were rotated in as the 6.8 cooled between groups. I had my block set for 120SSTs and 26.7g 10x in Hdy brass and it seemed to be an ok setting for these rounds.

One of the reasons I'm considering switching over from SSTs is the fact that most 130 grain flat base SPs have BCs from .408-.432+, so giving a WAG of an approx. .400 BC for these and the fact that 2600fps is not showing any pressure signs in virgin cases with a .007HS, these should flat beat the 120SST/2550fps loads I'm currently running for 300ish yard game shots. The deciding factor will be performance, I plan to test them on water jugs and wet print to see how they stack up to the performance of the SST. I have a hunch that they'll be a bit tougher, I just hope they're not too tough.

BTW, these pills are on sale for $42.79/500 delivered today.

Have a nice day,

loder

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look at x-mans posts ---it matches up with the 130 rem core-lokt

http://68forums.com/forums/showthre...et-Performance&p=616848&viewfull=1#post616848
Definitely looks like them other than a diff spacing on the cans. The jacket is different though as it doesn't have the same profile of the CL. I'd have to pull some CLs from my inventory, but I seem to remember the base was a touch sharper on the CL as well.

Being that these are pulls and it seems most of AR supply is from Fed, I'd think Sierra or Speer made these, but that may be false.

Sad thing is once they are gone, it doesn't look like we'll be able to find exactly the same pill. Lots of 130s out there though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wanna sell some of these lol? I am liking what I am seeing here. I wonder how they would do with RL10x
I shot a 4 shot group with 10x and Alliant's published 25.5grn 130 Speer load. It was approx 1.5" and only about 2350fps IIRC.

Buy some today at $42.79/500 with the FREEDOM20 code and if they don't satisfy, I'll buy the remainder from you.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Looks like a Grand Slam. Description is that it is bonded but one of thr midway reviews complains about seperations. Maybe why they were pulled?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I shot a 4 shot group with 10x and Alliant's published 25.5grn 130 Speer load. It was approx 1.5" and only about 2350fps IIRC.

Buy some today at $42.79/500 with the FREEDOM20 code and if they don't satisfy, I'll buy the remainder from you.
The wife is going to kick my ass lol. Oh well putting in my order now.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Looks like a Grand Slam. Description is that it is bonded but one of thr midway reviews complains about seperations. Maybe why they were pulled?
I agree they look like the Grand Slam.
I do have 130gr Grand Slam projectiles and they are stamped GS on the bottom.

Judging by the jacket thickness I do not think these would open well at 6.8 speeds and energy.

The 130 Fusion pulls are the best pull 6.8 hunting bullet in the 130gr range imho.

ymmv

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree they look like the Grand Slam.
I do have 130gr Grand Slam projectiles and they are stamped GS on the bottom.

Judging by the jacket thickness I do not think these would open well at 6.8 speeds and energy.

The 130 Fusion pulls are the best pull 6.8 hunting bullet in the 130gr range imho.

ymmv
Nothing stamped on the bottom like GS and TBBCs have, so probably not.

Could be, but if they do open nicely, they should be a decent game pill. I have a batch of large phone books I need to soak and test them on. I'll also run them through some water jugs. Some early season doe and maybe a pig will be a good test as well.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
[HR][/HR]

Could be, but if they do open nicely, they should be a decent game pill. I have a batch of large phone books I need to soak and test them on. I'll also run them through some water jugs. Some early season doe and maybe a pig will be a good test as well.
I got a few of these 130 FB mixed in with my fusion pulls last time I ordered from AR---- there were only about 4 or so, so I just tossed them --- they looked similar to the fusions but had the flat base vs. the BT and the copper color was just a tad bit different from the fusion pulls

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[HR][/HR]
I got a few of these 130 FB mixed in with my fusion pulls last time I ordered from AR---- there were only about 4 or so, so I just tossed them --- they looked similar to the fusions but had the flat base vs. the BT and the copper color was just a tad bit different from the fusion pulls
Thanks, I hadn't compared them side by side.

The only extra goodies in the first batch of 500 that I tumbled was 2 of the 150 Round nose that they are selling. They've got a good deal on the mixed bag of 130/150 Fusions right now at $40/500 delivered. I thought about buying a batch and separating them out for 6.8 and 270 Win, but held off since it doesn't give an idea of the split. I'd hate to buy them and have 400 150s....

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't compared them side by side.

The only extra goodies in the first batch of 500 that I tumbled was 2 of the 150 Round nose that they are selling. They've got a good deal on the mixed bag of 130/150 Fusions right now at $40/500 delivered. I thought about buying a batch and separating them out for 6.8 and 270 Win, but held off since it doesn't give an idea of the split. I'd hate to buy them and have 400 150s....
yup-- you don't know till you get them---- I saw another member get a first batch with almost all 130's, my 130-150 batch was almost split even (a little heavier towards the 130's)-- then another member ended up with a really 150 heavy batch----- some of us also got a notice that there were some 7mm fusions mixed in with the .277 mixed batches too--- so not only do you need to sort by weight, but you'll need to check the diameter too

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
at that price a got a 1000, better than throwing rocks

·
Registered
89 Posts

I was thinking these were just the plain federal soft point, what they called their PowerShok from the blue box loaded ammo. Could be wrong. Thanks for the info on your results, for the price it does look like something worth giving a try.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...270-winchester-130-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking these were just the plain federal soft point, what they called their PowerShok from the blue box loaded ammo. Could be wrong. Thanks for the info on your results, for the price it does look like something worth giving a try.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...270-winchester-130-grain-soft-point-box-of-20
That definitely looks like them VA. Doesn't look like they are available as a new component, but I bet Speer makes them. I hadn't looked at blue box loads in years, seem to remember them having exposed lead tips sometime back.

Thanks,

loder

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I ordered mine on 7/5 and they just shipped out today.
Worth the wait.

i put these over 27gr of AA2200 and COAL 2.282ish.

i think I jacked up the unfired round when I swaged it. Tried multiple times and the firing pin never made any contact to the primer. All others no issue

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.