6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put this in the hunting section as well but figured it may be helpful here also.

Conducted this test using the LWRC Six8 16" barrel from 50 yards shooting factory Hornady SST and factory 100gr GMX ammunition.

The 120 SST performed as expected and penetrated 23 inches at a slight downward angle, producing a huge wound cavity. After cutting the bullet out it retained a weight of 99.3 grains.

The 100gr GMX also performed very well and penetrated 25 1/4th inches in a straight line, producing another large wound cavity. As expected the GMX retained 99.4 grains of its weight only loosing the plastic tip.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Great information, are you still a die hard sst fan or have you crossed over to the dark side? Or have you killed enough hogs with them to make a decision.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great information, are you still a die hard sst fan or have you crossed over to the dark side? Or have you killed enough hogs with them to make a decision.
May use the gmx when trying to save meat or when forced to not use lead but other than the the SST is still my #1 choice.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
On a cost to kill bases the 120 offer a better value. TLM are you still,reloading or just shooting factory now that you are the field tester for Hornaday? One more question how many members in the SUS club these days?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Thanks txlawman! Great report. I've wondered this. Gonna try some SSTs this year on hogs and maybe deer. No doubt on hogs but don't want to lose a bunch of venison either. Price point of SST is much better than most for a quality projectile.

It looks as if the SST held together and didn't separate. That's more what I would want out of this bullet, but I think most of you SST guys see in real world they come all apart.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks txlawman! Great report. I've wondered this. Gonna try some SSTs this year on hogs and maybe deer. No doubt on hogs but don't want to lose a bunch of venison either. Price point of SST is much better than most for a quality projectile.

It looks as if the SST held together and didn't separate. That's more what I would want out of this bullet, but I think most of you SST guys see in real world they come all apart.

Thanks again.
They may come apart at close range but 50 yards and out they seem to perform like this.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a cost to kill bases the 120 offer a better value. TLM are you still,reloading or just shooting factory now that you are the field tester for Hornaday? One more question how many members in the SUS club these days?
I still reload these were factory just to keep they playing field even I will test reloads later down the line. Only 44 members sir.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I wonder how your findings in gel compare to XMAN's phonebook performance? I really like what yours did, staying together. I haven't shot any SST's yet, but have some test loads waiting to be shot now.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I wonder how your findings in gel compare to XMAN's phonebook performance?
When testing with the water jug/phonebook, the 6.8mm 100gr GMX bullets expanded rapidly. Even at an impact velocity of 1700 fps, the 100gr GMX’s interacted violently with the gallon water jug and still blew it to pieces. The GMX's expansion cavity as it opens appears larger than other GMX calibers tested because its Hornady's second gen GMX. When testing the .223 55gr GMX, I found that the 2nd gen GMX bullets were always loosing the first part of their pedals going through the phonebook and had to switch to using the alternative bullet trap of water-soaked newspapers (results similar to gelatin). Retesting of the 6.8mm 100gr GMX with water-soaked newspaper (see photo below) showed near perfect weight retention at high energy levels (no pedal loss). The min velocity test verified successful expansion in the 1600 fps range though two of the six pedals were lost. Measured expansion between both bullet trapping methods was within 0.015".

When testing the SST in wet-soaked newspaper, it has a polished mushrooms similar to what TLM has shown in the gelatin test. I found most of these mushroomed SST have loose lead cores that often would separate during recovery. When tested in waterjug/phonebook, the SST would often shed its lead core and fragment while still in the water jug. Fragmentation is what I've experienced in the field. The deer I have shot with the SST have been between 150 yards or longer and had no exit wounds. All SSTs broke up on impact with the fragments contained by the off-side hide. Internal trauma was widespread. One was head-on and broke ribs on both sides. I think the SST is the most lethal 6.8mm bullet but you have to be willing to deal with lead fragments if you are a meat hunter. Broadside lung shots are my choice.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When testing with the water jug/phonebook, the 6.8mm 100gr GMX bullets expanded rapidly. Even at an impact velocity of 1700 fps, the 100gr GMX’s interacted violently with the gallon water jug and still blew it to pieces. The GMX's expansion cavity as it opens appears larger than other GMX calibers tested because its Hornady's second gen GMX. When testing the .223 55gr GMX, I found that the 2nd gen GMX bullets were always loosing the first part of their pedals going through the phonebook and had to switch to using the alternative bullet trap of water-soaked newspapers (results similar to gelatin). Retesting of the 6.8mm 100gr GMX with water-soaked newspaper (see photo below) showed near perfect weight retention at high energy levels (no pedal loss). The min velocity test verified successful expansion in the 1600 fps range though two of the six pedals were lost. Measured expansion between both bullet trapping methods was within 0.015".

When testing the SST in wet-soaked newspaper, it has a polished mushrooms similar to what TLM has shown in the gelatin test. I found most of these mushroomed SST have loose lead cores that often would separate during recovery. When tested in waterjug/phonebook, the SST would often shed its lead core and fragment while still in the water jug. Fragmentation is what I've experienced in the field. The deer I have shot with the SST have been between 150 yards or longer and had no exit wounds. All SSTs broke up on impact with the fragments contained by the off-side hide. Internal trauma was widespread. One was head-on and broke ribs on both sides. I think the SST is the most lethal 6.8mm bullet but you have to be willing to deal with lead fragments if you are a meat hunter. Broadside lung shots are my choice.

Thanks Xman........I knew your tests showed all separation, that's why I was amazed to see Lawman's stay together. Now should it hit bone, who knows.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts

What I have experienced in the field is that the 120 tear up some meat great hog bullet not so,much for deer. Never shot a GMX the Hornaday 110 BTHp on deer have been excellent. The Nosler on hogs did not do as well as the 120SSt it came apart and left copper jacket in exit wound. Have not used on deer. I used a 95gr Barnes TTSX on a deer last year small hole in and exit deer DRT no meat was harmed. But my favorite rd is the Hornaday 110 BTHP for deer a close second would be the Barnes. Hog killing the 120 SST on a cost to kill ratio.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Rob, Like to hear/see more about the 110 bthp on deer! I'm presently shooting 110 ABs for hog, dog, deer. Haven't killed a deer, thats what the kids do! Killed some dogs and hogs. All hogs die!

Do the 110 bthp's stay together or separate? Ranges fired on animals?
thanks!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
110 BTHP yaw on impact then fragment by breaking apart in the center of the bullet. I've always recovered the tip/hollow point of every OTM bullet intact and unexpanded. Likely ok for broadside lung shots on deer, not sure I would use these on hogs.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Rob, Like to hear/see more about the 110 bthp on deer! I'm presently shooting 110 ABs for hog, dog, deer. Haven't killed a deer, thats what the kids do! Killed some dogs and hogs. All hogs die!

thanks!
All my dear shots have been with factory ammo even though I have some I loaded small hole in a bigger hole out major organ damage no meat lost all threw and threw. Mostly all DRT. no here where no hogs I live to hunt deer and love to eat it. Oh most shots in side of a 100 yds

1 - 20 of 27 Posts