6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Conducted this test using the LWRC Six8 16" barrel from 50 yards shooting factory Hornady SST and factory 100gr GMX ammunition.

The 120 SST performed as expected and penetrated 23 inches at a slight downward angle, producing a huge wound cavity. After cutting the bullet out it retained a weight of 99.3 grains.

The 100gr GMX also performed very well and penetrated 25 1/4th inches in a straight line, producing another large wound cavity. As expected the GMX retained 99.4 grains of its weight only loosing the plastic tip.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for posting TLM. I'd like to try the GMX but the ones I've seen cost almost twice as much as the SST. However, performance looks great and the velocity gain is also a plus. It's just hard to move away from a relatively affordable round that works as well on hogs as the SST does.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting TLM. I'd like to try the GMX but the ones I've seen cost almost twice as much as the SST. However, performance looks great and the velocity gain is also a plus. It's just hard to move away from a relatively affordable round that works as well on hogs as the SST does.
The GMX works nice but I still lean to the SST.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
TLM, was the lead core loose in the SST? Of the deer I have shot with the SST, the range was from 150 out to 225. All bullets shed the lead core and fragmented with no pass through (hide retaining the fragments on the far side). I think the homogeneous nature of the gelatin helps the lead core to stay with the copper jacket and form the nice mushroom. I'm not saying that some SSTs don't mushroom like that after impact. I think fragmentation is more typical. I think the SST is the most lethal 6.8 bullet out there. The GMX is an excellent monolithic bullet in all calibers. The 100 GMX for the 6.8 has the new expansion chamber, opens quick, and hits hard.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Agreed. I was at Academy today and they had both in stock. SST's were $22 for 20 and the GMX were $34 for 20....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Great info as usual lawman.
Xman, I've noticed the cup and core separation many times in my at home expansion tests and not just with the SST, and I have recovered two slugs from game when using the 120 SST. Both game recovered slugs surprised me by both being intact and a beautiful mushroom, both were quartering away and both stopped just under the hide in the chest. I suspect if I hit anything harder than ribs the fragmentation would have occurred.
I wonder though how the 100 GMX would perform in the 277 Wolverine? I haven't researched the length but if its not too long this would be a devastating bullet for the WLV I think. The Barnes 95 TTSX has been my go to in the WLV for hunting but a little more expansion and quicker expansion would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts