6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have taken several deer with the 120 SST and most always the jacket spits the lead out on the far side and the lead fragments and empty jacket is stuck under the hide on the far side . Almost always , the exception is the last 3 bucks we have shot with them , all three had entrance and exit wounds about the same size . There was no sign of fragmentation and half dollar size holes . I have seen Hornady advertise it as having an interlock to hold it together but that has not always happened . I wonder if Hornady has changed the design or could be just a fluke .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I wouldn't call it a fluke. I have found if the SST hits bone just right, the lead core can remain intact with the copper jacket. Typically, as the SST expands, hydraulic pressure gets between the copper jacket and lead-core causing the jacket to swell and release the lead-core like a sabot. If the impact/bone hit prevents body fluid from getting between the core and jacket, the shooter will experience terminal performance as you have just seen. All my SST kills have been the typical "grenade" with no exit wound except for my last deer. During terminal performance testing, I witnessed the hydraulic swell affect that causes the lead-core to be ejected.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two didn't hit bone except rib but both clipped shoulder muscle and that was enough .On The big buck I shot last year I did clip the leg bone . I often hear people say the SST jacket is too thin but I think it is a little too thick and doesn't peal back enough unless hit something hard . The S&B ptsp is reportedly made by Hornady . It would be nice if it was offered as a component. I have a couple of empty jackets that were stopped by the off side hide somewhere . When I get back home I will inspect them for a interlock ridge .

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The interlock ring is the cannalure. In my terminal testing I've done with the gallon water jug and phone book bullet trap I've seen the swelling of the copper jacket and ejection of the lead core. I've tested them enough from 50 to 400 yards to have enough samples and repeat test when a test wasn't perfect to see this bullet in action with different outcomes. I've actually captured one in a long-range mis-test where the copper jacket started to swell but the lead core was retained (no expansion). You could move the lead core freely back and forth inside the copper jacket. One of the more interesting aspects has been finding dirt inside the cleanly expanded copper jackets (ejected lead core). I finally figured out that a water slug is created on bullet impact (hydroshock) that was hitting the ground and washing up dirt in front of the copper jacket before it hit the phone book.

I've experienced the variation in terminal performance on deer. One hit broadside with no blood trail because the bullet fragmented so much that it blew a hole in the off-side ribs that I could put my fist through but all the fragments and jacket were captured by the offside hide (like a baseball glove). A head-on shot into the chest where fragments cut through 4 ribs on each side of the deer. And, like your recent experience, where the bullet didn't shed its core and blew clean through both lungs. Unlike the others that dropped within 10 feet with not a drop of blood, this one left a blood trail 50 yards long.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say the most accurate gun I have is my wife's 16"arp shooting factory SST . I just recently bought a box of SST bullets to load because the supply of factory dried up but really don't expect to beat the factory velosisity or accuracy .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree it doesn't have a interlock other than the cann . I was going by the information Hornady puts out and their drawing of the SSTs . I have also seen drawings by Hornady of SSTs without the band . I don't know if it is only certain calibers that doesn't have the band or if they stopped putting it on all SSTs .

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It seems like they are all over the board. I know every one i have shot deer with seems to have fragmented. First deer i shot was a small doe, I got an exit and she fell 30yds away. Being it was the first one with 6.8, I trailed her just to see how it did and i was finding jacket fragments in the blood trail. I haven't had one not fragment yet though I have largely switched to GD as i got a lot really cheap.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like they are all over the board. I know every one i have shot deer with seems to have fragmented. First deer i shot was a small doe, I got an exit and she fell 30yds away. Being it was the first one with 6.8, I trailed her just to see how it did and i was finding jacket fragments in the blood trail. I haven't had one not fragment yet though I have largely switched to GD as i got a lot really cheap.
I have never had a jacket fragment , the lead does but the jacket has always stayed intact and usually backwards under the hide .

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I agree it doesn't have a interlock other than the cann . I was going by the information Hornady puts out and their drawing of the SSTs
The image shows an interlock near the tail of the bullet. I have never seen the inside of the 6.8 120 SST copper jacket with this feature. All the jackets have been smooth and clean inside except for the cannelure. The S&B 110 PTS bullets are built like and SST but they have always retained their core for me after impact.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have never had a jacket fragment , the lead does but the jacket has always stayed intact and usually backwards under the hide .

All of my hunting with a 6.8 so far has been with a 20” barrel and the longest shot so far was at 80yds with a GD so it’s possible that is why they tend to frag for me. Shouldn’t be a huge velocity gain but possibly just enough. I have found 1 jacket just as you described but I have only shot 4deer with SST. Two exited and two didn’t, one I found the jacket, once I found pieces of jacket in the blood trail. I have largely switch to the GD as i have so many but the SST has worked well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts