6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going to lie I'm a little excited! I haven't done anything new in the 6.8 SPC world in a longtime. Been using the same load for 10 years. I've been eyeing CBB 120 MkZs for a few years and finally decided to buy a box to try.

I don't have any Modified mags so I'm going to run them at 2.295" col to start and then if it they work out in my rifle I might pick up a couple Modified mags when they are available.
So I have started a 10 shot powder test using 1X starline brass bumped .005" CCI #41 and AA2200. I ran it from 25.8 to 27.6 grains in .2 increments.
These will be fired from a 16" ARP flutted socom 1/11.5 twist barrel. Thats all I have for now can't wait to get to the range. Plan on using these this fall for our Maine black bear season.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You should get a good idea of your optimum charge weight with that string. I do mine with 0.3 grain increments. Interested to see your results.

Reactions: Yamaraja

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
None of my bullets leave home without a crimp, even MKZs. I also recommend with any bullet you shoot, do not recharge new on top. Empty the remaining rounds in order on the floor, count them, fill the mag with new/never used rounds needed for a full mag, then reload the prior rounds so they go in the same order they came out. If you don't do this, the rounds left in the bottom can get pretty beat up and have varying COALs by the time you get around to firing them, even if they were crimped. The crimp helps maintain COALs and reduces neck tension variation by 50%.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I loaded up the 120mkz for early bear season here in NY. I wanted to use my 6.8 because it's my lightest gun and I usually hike quite a bit for early bear. I've only taken 1 bear but he was small probably 120 pounds. Full pass through with good blood trail. I'm hoping this year I get a bigger one, the population seems to be expanding.

·
Vendor
2,388 Posts
I will post them Xman. Just read somewhere where Yam said not to use a crimp? I put a light crimp on mine with a Lee factory crimp die......
You do not have to use a crimp. However I crimp my own now and our loaded ammo has a crimp as well.
For the reasons Xman listed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts