6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help guys. I'm looking at getting a head start for trying something new out of my 270. I have good loads worked up for 130 and 150 gr rounds but am wanting to try something different. Thinking of giving the 120's a try for giggles. I know it's been done but can't find any data.

So a few questions.

My powder of choice is RL22 for all my bolt guns. This is what I have and would prefer not buy another powder. Would it be sufficient?

Would my data for the 130's be ok to use? Currently shooting the Berger 130 VLD hunting at 58.5 grains and CCI mag primers in Remington brass. I will need new brass tho being as what I have is on it's last loading cycle.

I'd prefer not to download it any and keep it fast. I do recall that at 270 speeds the petals may break off but that's ok with me. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Shank, R22 is pretty slow and isn't listed in their manual for bullets lighter than 130 grains. You should be able to use your 130 loads as a starting point or maybe start a grain lower. I'd do a velocity vs powder ladder to define my performance boundaries. Load one each with 57.5, 58.0, 58.5, 59.0, and 59.5. Don't keep shooting them if you see pressure signs - take them home and pull them. I'd mark the impact of each bullet and look for 3 in a row that group around an inch - that would be the best place to look for your accuracy node.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Xman. I was looking for you to reply. I should’ve prefaced my thoughts more. I figured on starting at my load now. I emailed Robert a while back about the 92 gr mkz’s in my 243 and he said my load data for the 95 gr Berger’s should be just fine. I don’t anticipate more pressure but I may go ahead and back it off some to start. I’m guessing ball park if say my charge weight now was to work and accurate how much FPS do you think I would gain? 50-100? It doesn’t need to be a burner but would like a little more speed.
Do you have a powder you’d recommend that would work better for the lighter bullets?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I have not used R22. I've had some powders that didn't vary velocity with bullet weight, e.g., a 120, 130, and 140 would all shoot about the same velocity. The only difference was the chamber pressure which was higher for the heavier bullet. I think the hardest choice will be your COAL choice. I took a look at my case with some 120 MKZ in it and recommend 3.225" as that puts the boat-tail at the bottom of the case neck. I'd do the powder vs velocity ladder just so you know with confidence what your boundaries are and you many find you accuracy node as a bonus. You can adjust COAL in 0.015" increments to fine tune your groups.

I used to shoot the Barnes 120s which is probably the best place to start. That is Barnes loading data.

They don't list R22.

Hodgdon lists the Barnes 120 to give you some other choices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting thread. I had similar thoughts for a .270 using a 120 gn bullet, although I was considering using the SST.

I’m going to be following this one to see what the end result is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Xman. It’s not pressing but something I’m going to look into during this season so I can hit the ground running after season ends. I looked at the Barnes data today actually to see if they had anything on there. I didn’t think to look at the hogdon site. Tried to look at Hornady but they gave no info for the sst unless you down load the manual.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
The SST is a lead-core bullet and has less volume than a copper bullet of the same weight. Thus any max load data for the SST would be too hot for for the MKZ. If it were me, I won't use the SST in the 270 unless it was for long-range because it is designed for 6.8 SPC velocities.

I'll have to search but I remember someone tested the 120 MKZ from a 170 into ballistic gel and it did well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I was just trying to get a base line and that was the only 120gr load I could find or think of. I did some googling this afternoon and found some 110 loads and some stuff guys had tried in the sst’s. Ironically guys asking about the sst’s were reversed to this forum. I believe Yama had a post somewhere in the MKZ performance thread but it didn’t have what load if I recall correctly. I’ll try and do some more searching myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts