6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens have been pestered lately. My mossberg 590 with a inforce light has worked well. Tried the little 22 bolt gun, but running varmints at night...well, I'm not that good.

Been thinking of a semi auto. What are thoughts or experiences with a mossberg 930/940 ?

·
Premium Member
18,693 Posts
My chickens have been pestered lately. My mossberg 590 with a inforce light has worked well. Tried the little 22 bolt gun, but running varmints at night...well, I'm not that good.

Been thinking of a semi auto. What are thoughts or experiences with a mossberg 930/940 ?
I have no experience with the 930 or 40 but reviews are very good. Are you looking at a tactical or want a high end SG or just a SG to take care of critters?

There are several brands of SGs imported from Turkey and they run well. The RIA (Rock Island), Daly, EAA and others. Several years ago I purchased a Daly from CDNN for $249 as a truck gun for lack of a better term. It eats everything. I tried to mess it up by loading low brass, then buckshot, low brass, slug etc and it didn't miss a beat.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Been using my M&P15-22 with 2-7 Nikon scope and some random WML from Amazon that has amazing throw and have killed about 10 possums with that combo at night. It's about a 40yd shot from porch to coop. Fixed some issues with the fence around the coop and it has been quieter. Also neighbors free range dog got a few rounds one day when I got tired of warning them and it was eating my wife's favorite rooster in the coop.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I purchased one of the Jerry Miculek versions when they first came out for 3-gun. It became my primary dove shotgun and has been reliable. I have only run 2 3/4" shells through it. It will need cleaning every so often. Mine was still running strong after 3 seasons but I should have cleaned it after the second season. Easy to break-down. They made several refinements since then. I would buy again.

·
Registered
653 Posts
This is the one I was thinking about. Would have to shoulder it though, I'm short etc, prefer a shorter lop,tube fed, no pistol grip and standard sights.

View attachment 76841
A hunting buddy of mine has the hunting version one of these. He does not care for it as much as his old pump action 500. He says he can’t get used to it (I think it might be more of teaching an old dog new tricks). He says the gun has never malfunctioned.

While I would love thermal, back up power (or a new truck) will take priority also. For chicken coop defense, I’d probably opt for digital night vision on a semi-auto 22 or 9mm carbine. The SightMark Wraith digital rifle scope goes for about $450-500. The picture quality is outstanding. Far better than my Photon XT that cost about the same. The Wraith is also about half the physical size.

I have a 590 and I love it. I’ve used it a lot in self-defense training courses and on feral hogs, I don’t own an auto loading shotgun so I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I’m not sure you will get any extra shots off with a semi-auto vs a pump action.

Reactions: Strawdawg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts