6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid I got bad advice when I purchased my Omaga. Becouse the 6.8 is not listed by silencer Co w/ barrel limitations I asked my dealer and he said the Omaga was good down to 12.5" with 6.8.

I'm now aware of miss information regarding barrel length and have read/searched lots of threads here.

My question: is anyone successfully using the Omaga on a 6.8 SBR?

Blah blah blah

·
Registered
677 Posts
What is the minimum barrel length for 556 and 308

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Owners manual lists

10" 5.56
16" 308
20" 300WM

300blk out and 6.8 not listed.

Google and most folks say 300blk = 8".

Blah blah blah

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you email silencerCo they will respond with a definite answer, but I believe it is a 16'' minimum. I would email them to be sure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you email silencerCo they will respond with a definite answer, but I believe it is a 16'' minimum. I would email them to be sure.
I bought an omega before i decided on 6.8, and emailed them about minimim length. They will most assuredly tell you 16in is the minimum barrel length for 6.8. I personally find it odd, as they also said that 10.5in was the minimum for 7.62x39. Maybe they are just trying to cover their butts with a blanket statement. Id like to know if they even ran 6.8 through the can in their testing phase.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what seems odd to me. Most all manufacturers put the 6.8 very near the 5.56. Is why I did not question my dealer.

In fact my question was how short a 6.8 not "can you SBR"

Stinks, becouse now I don't have time to fix it without my wife's fingerprints.

Blah blah blah

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you do decide to get a different can for your sbr 6.8 I highly recommend the Sandman line from dead air. Stainless tube with a completely stellite baffle stack. The rugged Surge is also built this way. Both are built like tanks. The sandman has no barrel minimums for any caliber. I recall seeing a video with Mike Pappas stating even if you ran an 8 inch barrel on a 300 winmag ( or RUM, cant remember) although its not recommended or practical, they will still honor the warranty and stand behind their product.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want two cans so my son and I can both hunt quietly. Just disappointed with my dealer.

Lost my business.

Blah blah blah

·
Registered
349 Posts
Omega on a 12". Shoots fine, not like it's going to explode in 1 shot...
also have a specwar but that thing is way to freaking heavy.

I also use a brake as my QD to help but I am taking a chance I guess.
This may not be politically correct thing to do but I'll take my chances to drop 10oz vs the spec war, atleast for hunting. Now a high volume range session I wouldn't use the Omega...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Omega on a 12". Shoots fine, not like it's going to explode in 1 shot...
also have a specwar but that thing is way to freaking heavy.

I also use a brake as my QD to help but I am taking a chance I guess.
This may not be politically correct thing to do but I'll take my chances to drop 10oz vs the spec war, atleast for hunting. Now a high volume range session I wouldn't use the Omega...
For hunting you might be able to get away with using it on a short barrel, Especially if using a brake, and I believe the blast baffle on the Omega is stellite. The only thing I would be worried about is the ultra thin titanium tube, I think I read they are "glued" together because its too thin to weld. Titanium tends to heat up faster than stainless steel, plus being so thin would cause it to heat even faster, and then the pressures of using a short barrel on top of that would just make me a little nervous to try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got an Omega but I haven't used it on my 6.8.

I would just do it. It's not going to explode. There is a lot less gas volume in a 6.8 than in a 308.

Especially for hunting--pretty low round count.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If silencerco ever revised their omega minimum for 6.8 to 12in i would build one so fast my wallet would just sit there screaming "WTFFFFFF!?!?!?!?!"

Rodan, how does it sound compared to a 16in spc if you have one?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Another member here is running the harvester 30 on a 12.5 6.8 barrel. Not sure how much he is shooting it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If silencerco ever revised their omega minimum for 6.8 to 12in i would build one so fast my wallet would just sit there screaming "WTFFFFFF!?!?!?!?!"

Rodan, how does it sound compared to a 16in spc if you have one?
I can't really tell a difference to be honest. My 16" has the 3 prong FH vs the 12" with muzzle brake.
It might be louder but not by a lot. (Without the can the 12" is pleasant but still no were near 556 on a sbr.)
There is more difference in the specwar and omega vs the omega on a 12" or 16" gun to be honest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't really tell a difference to be honest. My 16" has the 3 prong FH vs the 12" with muzzle brake.
It might be louder but not by a lot. (Without the can the 12" is pleasant but still no were near 556 on a sbr.)
There is more difference in the specwar and omega vs the omega on a 12" or 16" gun to be honest.
Thats good to hear. I wonder if anyone else has run the omega on a 12.5in 6.8? I'm starting to feel braver about it... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts