6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the bullet info gathering threads. No questions or commentary; start another thread if you need to. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet, load data, etc...

If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.

As of this posting, these are not available as load components but their loaded ammunition information may be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have shot three hogs with them so far, two were broadside in the neck, one was broadside in the head, pigs weighed around 90 lbs. No bullets were retrieved, range was 30yards on the two in the neck, the other was around 100yds. The one shot in the head eyes popped out, and was dead before the report. All three exited on the far side. If I had to shoot factory loads all the time, this would be it. MV from a 16" ARP is between 2475 and 2500, and accuracy is close to 1"at 100 yds. from same. Excellent factory round. Cant wait for component bullets to become available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went to the range and shot my new 6.8 rig for the first time so I could have some brass to reload with. Here is some 115 fusion info.
Firearm used- noveske 16in upper
Ammo- federal 115gr fusion
Optic- 1-4 nightforce
Range- 100 yard
60 rounds total, 12, 5 shot groups
Chronograph- chrony f1
Avg. Velocity- 2459 fps
Extreme spread- 194 fps
High- 2544 fps, low- 2350 fps
Advertised avg. Velocity- 2470
Average group size- 1.89 inch
Smallest group- 1.18 inch
Largest group- 2.985

I could get 3 to 4 shots to touch or almost touch. Each group seemed to have 1or2 flyers. I'm pretty happy considering low power optic and factory ammo. Should do better with handloads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went to the range and shot my new 6.8 rig for the first time so I could have some brass to reload with. Here is some 115 fusion info.
Optic- 1-4 nightforce
Range- 100 yard
Chronograph- chrony f1
Avg. Velocity- 2459 fps
Extreme spread- 194 fps
Largest group- 2.985

I could get 3 to 4 shots to touch or almost touch. Each group seemed to have 1or2 flyers. I'm pretty happy considering low power optic and factory ammo. Should do better with handloads.
Went back to the range to shoot some handloads. Went ahead and shot two more 5 shot groups with the fusion and the same set up above. Average velocity-2508 fps
Average group size-2.9 in. Next time I go back I'm going to pop on my 2.5-10 scope and see if group size comes down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Optic- 1-4 nightforce
Range- 100 yard
Chronograph- chrony f1
Avg. Velocity- 2459 fps
Extreme spread- 194 fps
Largest group- 2.985

Last testing with this factory load. Everything's the same except I swapped to a 2.5-10 scope to see if group size came down.......not really?
3- 5 shot groups @ 100yd
Av- 2479 fps
Es- 92 fps
Sd- 25 fps
Average group- 1.87 in

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Since I just threw down and rattled these off it's not a real accurate test of how these bullets are grouping but I am still happy with them. Especially since it's affordable factory ammo.

200yds
1st 3 shot group 1.8", lower right side of target

2nd 3 shot group with scope adjustment wasn't very good. I'm not sure if the scope had to play catch-up or what but the first of the 3 shots hit in the same group as the 1st 3 shot group, then the second 2 hit almost center.

What really surprised me was that the poi for the 90gr gold dots was almost the same as the 115's at 200yds. Center mass was getting crowded so I held on the chin and squeezed off 5 quick shots.

The others are 100gr accubonds I shot at an earlier date.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I shot a nice Texas 10pt this year with this round. It worked great. The buck ran about 15 yards and left a huge blood trail. The first picture is the exit. You can see why he left a trail. The second picture is of the trail left. I like this round enough that I will be using from know on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Federal Fusion 115 MSR

Data for Federal Fusion MSR 115 grain Factory Load:

Using ProChono Digital Chronograph at 15 feet from muzzle.
Avg. Velocity: 2482 ft/sec
Max.: 2501 ft/sec
Min.: 2469 ft./sec
Stand Dev = 14

Temperature: 93 degrees F
Humidity: 57%
Barometric Pressure: 30.01 inches Hg
Elevation: 782 ft above sea level
Five shot group @ 100 yards: 1.1 MOA
Firearm is Rock River Arms, mid length gas tube, 16" chrome moly barrel, 1:10 twist rate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems to be great round

My 16" SOTA arms upper shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards... Stacks them up usually touching... Waiting to Chrono but as most shots are under 300 yards I use the info on the box. I have used other stuff but I feel my gun is more accurate and on deer the 115 gr Fusion MSR is just solid... The hornady SST in 120 gr is okay but the Fusion MSR leaves a better blood trail and looks better on paper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth.

I have shot many hogs with this round. Mostly because I bought maybe 10 boxes on clearance here and there, I used them during my build when I was having issues with a bad bolt so shot a bunch at the range. They do not compare in accuracy to the Hornady 1200sst but those were too expensive to continue to fire so I stuck with the 115 gr. Fusions. The accuracy was similar to others posted here. Ok, and good hunting round. The results on tough hogs was not what I expected, they under perform to me. I have had many more DRT's with my 556 shooting winchester 64 gr Hog Specials than these heavier 6.8 115 gr bullets. Head shots are key, body shots are not impressive. I have shot maybe a 20 hogs with these. When I am out of these I will resight in with the Hornady 120 sst's and use those for hunting hogs. 200 pound boar 003.JPG

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Thanks Rabt, how about some load data to back up your results, which look good enough for me. Xman, I don't have much use for BC but temp sensitivity and consistent accuracy get my attention. Your work with temperature is awesome!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just ordered 7 boxes of the 115 grain gold dot(fusion) bullets from Midway last night. The plan is to use AA 2200 in Hornady brass(S&B) and CCI 450 primers. I figure the sweet spot is somewhere between 27 & 28.5 grains. I'll start out with an OAL of 2.27 and adjust from there.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I don't have much use for BC but temp sensitivity and consistent accuracy get my attention.
At normal hunting distances for a 6.8mm on medium size game it is not that significant. Always best to practice, though, at the distances out to what you want your max range to be so there are no surprises and you have confidence in your shot.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I did some testing yesterday with CFE223, S&B brass and the 115gr GD's. With 34gr loaded to 2.31" COL, I was able to shoot a nickel-sized 5 shot group at 100yds. This is with my 16" ARP 5R barrel and a 2-7X scope and my eyesight issues. I didn't chrono these yet but I expect somewhere around 2600fps. I will update the velocity findings.

Update: CFE223 34gr 2450fps avg. Switched to CFE BLK 29gr 2.33" COL 2680fps avg. Now to check accuracy

PRESSURE SPIKES WITH 28-29grs CFE BLK, TOO HOT, DON'T TRY THIS!
Dropping down to 27grs and go from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts