6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length 1.031
BC-.370

·
Registered
474 Posts
This was one of the most frustrating bullets I tried. On paper this was one of the best bullets due to the high BC, unfortunately they were hit or miss in the accuracy department. 29 GR of H322 or Benchmark were the most accurate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So what is everyone's experience with the Hornady 110 V-Max factory load? I have heard that the factory is not accurate, but is it that terrible compared to other cheap factory ammo that goes for about $18 a box? I have some of the factory ammo on order, about $18 a box for the factory loads which I plan to use as range fodder and maybe hunting if it proves accurate.

So the my end result for me will be a supply of Hornady brass to hand-load. Is there a pet load that will work under the 110 V-Max in Hornaday factory brass? Is the Hornady 110 V-Max a bullet that I should just stay away from when hand-loading?

Another note. My small primer brass may vary, depending on it's quantity and the load that I developed for, but I plan ti use CCI 400 primers exclusively.....

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 110 gr. Hornady V-Max is very accurate in my 18.5" 1:10 twist, 6 groove, SAAMI 6.8 SPC Mini-14. This 100 yd. group was shot with load of 28.6 gr. H322, once fired SSA brass and Wolf SRM at an average velocity of 2580 fps:

1.12_inch_group-s.jpg

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
This was my best load with the 110vmax printing at .600" out of my 18" Bison SPR and .643" out of my 16" ARP Socom at 100y.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The loads tested were shot from a 16" ARP scout barrel with previously shot SSA brass and CCI 41 primers with 2.300 COL, from a sandbag rest at 100 yards.

H322 @ 28.3 grains- 2474 Av fps - .761" 3 shot group, 1.456" 5 shot group
H322 @ 28.6 grains- 2507 Av fps - .843" 3 shot group, 1.533" 5 shot group
H322 @ 28.9 grains- 2517 Av fps - .807" 3 shot group, 1.269" 5 shot group
H322 @ 29.2 grains- 2545 Av fps - .524" 3 shot group, 1.106" 5 shot group
H322 @ 29.5 grains- 2563 Av fps - 1.212" 3 shot group, 1.971" 5 shot group - TOO HOT FOR ME

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone load this one with AA2200? I'm curious if there is a velocity or loading difference between 110 vmax and hpbt. The velocity that Rokman above is getting doesn't seem very good.

I'm hoping I can get this bullet to work because I like the plastic tip over the hollow point and the BC is a bit better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Anyone load this one with AA2200? I'm curious if there is a velocity or loading difference between 110 vmax and hpbt. The velocity that Rokman above is getting doesn't seem very good.

I'm hoping I can get this bullet to work because I like the plastic tip over the hollow point and the BC is a bit better.
Yes, I like 28.5 gr (published max = 28.6 gr.) of AA2200 for my 6.8 Mini (18.5" 1:10 twist barrel), It's just as accurate as 28.6 gr. H322 and about 50 fps faster (2634 avg. fps). Checking the AA2200 load data sticky thread at the top of this forum, the starting and max. loads are identical for the two Hornady 110 gr. bullets.

My 20" 1:11 twist bolt gun does not like the V-Max bullets. Many 6.8 users report similar accuracy problems with the 110 V-Max.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Will never predator hunt out of my 6.8 ever again!! JUNK. Went against my better judgment and tried a box of the factory loads. Shot a big male yote 3 times. First shot dead through the chest. Ran off. never found it. They shot ok on paper. That's where I'll burn the rest up and reload the brass with Sierra Varminters. Every predator i've shot with those have been DRT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will never predator hunt out of my 6.8 ever again!! JUNK. Went against my better judgment and tried a box of the factory loads. Shot a big male yote 3 times. First shot dead through the chest. Ran off. never found it. They shot ok on paper. That's where I'll burn the rest up and reload the brass with Sierra Varminters. Every predator i've shot with those have been DRT
To my understanding, these weren't really designed for varmint shooting, they were designed for larger game.. Wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
To my understanding, these weren't really designed for varmint shooting, they were designed for larger game.. Wrong?
The V is for varmint, but they were originally meant for .270 Win velocities. You will get expansion, and maybe separation, but not the full fragmentation usually desired for varmints. They they are basically a strongly constructed varmint bullet, or thin jacketed medium game bullet. Some shade of grey.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Range Report with Hornady V-Max and AA2200 Powder

Bottom line first. Three shot group of .213 inches at 50 yard range. Two bullets shared the exact same hole.

I used 28.8 grains of AA2200 with multi-fired SAA brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers all set to a Cartridge Over All Length of 2.295 inches.

The rifle was one of Harrison's (AR Performance), 16 inch barreled using the 5R rifling with 1 in 11.25 inch twist.

The really neat thing about this load is that the Hornady V-Max bullets used were from Midway USA as part of their blemished bullet sale published in mid June 2012.

Daniel

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lil slow to this thread but i used the 110Gr Vmax for deer hunting a few years ago.. The work great for that, i cant remember my load but it was with H322 out of a black hole weaponry 16". Deer was shot from 275yds and DRT. Hit deer high and infront of shoulder and took out spine. wound channel was devestating to say the least.

Im gonna have to go shoot them again and see how they group.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length 1.031
BC-.370
Does the 110g Vmax come with and without a Cannelure? Does it matter?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Factory vmax is the most accurate load I've shot out of my SS 18" ARP. Holes were overlapping at 100yds and would shoot about a 1 1/4" 300yd group.
My daughter shot a heavy bodied whitetail at 92yds with factory 110vmax. Perfect broadside shot, left a ping pong ball size hole on entrance side, blew out lungs, jelloed heart, and exit hole was about nickle sized. I originally thought the holes were vise versa until I sat back and remembered which way he was facing. Walking right to left and big hole was on left side.
Vmax works for me, got some hogs she can try them out on next.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Factory 110 Vmax

The 110 vmax is the most accurate thing I have shot out of you 18" Bison barrel. I would like to know more about how they work on hogs and deer. I haven't found anything else that shoots as good as these do, but I am trying to work up a load that will produce the same accuracy. The 100 grain Accubonds are close at just over an 1" at 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts