6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length 1.006"
BC-.360

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argue with others opinions. Please just the facts. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy.
This is the original load for all things 6.8 SPC. The original Hornday 115 grain Open Tip Match (OTM) bullet was refined, producing a 5 grain lighter bullet with the same steep ogive resulting in the 110 grain OTM bullet now referred to as the Hollow Point Boat Tail (HPBT). This bullet was designed for putting a stomping on two legged critters out to 500 yards.

I can't attest to the two legged ones but the four legged critters that taste just like pork will drop like they've been hit by lightening. I've shot 3 pigs with this load and it mimics the same kind of exit hole as a Sierra Game King bullet in 30 caliber at 165 grains.

It's very accurate with SSA brass with a Cartridge Over All Length of 2.295 inches, 28.8 grains of AA2200 powder and a Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primer, I get about .6 inch groups at 100 yards. It starts out with over 1,700 foot pounds of energy and carries it out to drop-em range of 500 yards.

Daniel

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hornady's factory load seems to be very accurate with some customers reporting 3/8" groups at 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
My favorite bullet for the 6.8 and range work.
I have not hunted with the 110 BTHP, so no data.
Easy to find acceptable 100yd groups with a wide range of powders. I have tried Re7, 10x, H322, and H335.
Best groups were from H322 and above book max, Rem brass, WLR primer, 2.285"

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Also available as a factory load from Barrett (SSA brass, accurate but a little on the slow side) and Wilson Combat (for improved chambers).

It is my GP bullet for handloaded ammo. It is one of the less expensive bullets that is still very accurate. Feeds well and capable of taking game more like a soft point than a match bullet. Accurate loads for my 18" SPCII barrel are:

H322 powder at 2660 FPS
AA2200 powder at 2741 FPS

Be aware that the tips tend to be inconsistent and will drive you nuts if measuring your ammo's COAL. Either use a comparator, or load multiples to an average depth and go from there. This is also important if you are right at the edge of magazine length.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I tried Hornady's factory loaded 110 BTHP in my Stag 7. Five shot groups were 1 inch at 100 yards. I will be working a hand load up soon with this bullet.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I found this bullet to be accurate in an AR and bolt gun. It seemed to perform a lot like a hunting soft-point, with pretty tough jacket, but I have not shot enough hogs yet with it, to form a solid opinion.

Hornady factory ammo worked well in my bolt gun, and I like the AA2200 load of 28.8 grains, SSA brass, CCI 41, and 2.295" OAL.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
Are you guys using with or without cannelure?

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Are you guys using with or without cannelure?
I think the one w/o cannelure is a flat base .270 varmint round. I have some. I will load them RE10x & check results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
28.8gr of AA2200 with 110gr HDY BTHP is sub-MOA in all seven of my 6.8 uppers. I bought 4000 of them and it is my go to round for just about everything. I load them to 2.2950 COAL out of PRI mags.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Through a friend of mine at Hornady. I load a lot of them and is my preferred round for suppressor demos so I keep a good quantity on hand.

ETA:
Don Alexander
Director of Military Sales
SureFire, LLC

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Load data. Aa2200

28.8gr of AA2200 with 110gr HDY BTHP is sub-MOA in all seven of my 6.8 uppers. I bought 4000 of them and it is my go to round for just about everything. I load them to 2.2950 COAL out of PRI mags.
Where is the published data for this load. My max shows 28.6. Is this a SPC II difference? New to this caliber,.....

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Where is the published data for this load. My max shows 28.6. Is this a SPC II difference? New to this caliber,.....
going over max is a risk each reloader takes. Some do it and others don't, so load at your own risk. True accurates data show 28.6 max charge but accurates coal is 2.260. He is loading out 2.295 which will drop the pressure a bit, so .2 over max can be done safely.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good point WASSMAN, I should have added that in the post. These are MY loads tested in MY guns. You should take any inforamtion here, use standard loading practices, start lower and work up to what your guns will handle. Guns are like women; they are all different and they like what they like!

Good shooting!
Don

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Been loading for over 30 years and understand all the safety issues, etc. however new to the 6.8 thing and like to hear what folks experience. Helps me develop my loads for testing. THANKS,,,

·
Registered
105 Posts
No worries, mate. One of the things that I like most about this forum is that you can ask honest questions, debate them in a forum that is all about safe shooting, furthering the development of the cartridge and sharing information. I have learned a great deal from the folks that participate here and am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge that is here.

The folks here are not part of the Internet Hostage Rescue Team, they are knowledgeable, informative and very respectfull of other opinons, unless you make an ass of yourself then they tend to be very upfront and honest. I for one find it very refreshing and I don't have a lot of tiem to spend on the Internet reading or contributing to forums that are found there.

Best of luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I noticed a lot of folks here found a sweet spot around 2.270COAL. I'm at 2.230 right now because I use Barrett....although hindsight being 20/20 I'm moving on to PRI for the longer cartridge length and polymer follower. You guys with Barrett mags, have you found a better COAL than 2.230?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts