6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran across 500 Federal large pistol magnum primers I'd like to use up. I'm trying to develop a good load for 180 grain Hornaday XTP.

Components:
New 10mm Starline Brass
180 grain Hornady XTP Bullets
Hodgdon Hi-Skor 800-X
Federal Magnum Large Pistol Primers (I'm trying to use up, but want a safe, strong load.)
Rounds will be fired out of a Glock 20 w/ Standard Glock 4.6" Barrel and aftermarket 22lb Recoil Spring.

All my reloading manuals don't use magnum primers, but I want to get some of your opinions out there, as I know a lot of you have plenty experience with Magnum Primers.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I use CCI 300 large pistol primers for my 10mm loads, your loading guides do not list the magnum primers for 10's because they are not necessary. They could cause some pressure issues on the upper end of the scale but that's only guess on my part. Save your mag primers for mag cartridges in the 44 class or greater.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use CCI 300 large pistol primers for my 10mm loads, your loading guides do not list the magnum primers for 10's because they are not necessary. They could cause some pressure issues on the upper end of the scale but that's only guess on my part. Save your mag primers for mag cartridges in the 44 class or greater.
I was thinking the same thing, but thought if I scaled the charge back I could use these primers up, as I don't own any magnum pistols.
What charge do you use for your 180 grain bullets, also do you use an aftermarket barrel?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but thought if I scaled the charge back I could use these primers up, as I don't own any magnum pistols.
What charge do you use for your 180 grain bullets, also do you use an aftermarket barrel?
KKM, I load hot. 1300fps with 200 grainers over 800X.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use CCI 350's (Magnum Large Pistol)
Long Shot,180gr XTP with a KKM barrel and a 22lb recoil spring
1330 fps
I also load the 180gr Hornady HAP bullet the same but with brass I'm willing to part with

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't like 800x. Yes, it's the highest velocity of all the powders I've tried, but I've never been able to get two cases charged the same, and have to trickle every. single. stinking. one. AA#9 is a close second for velocity, and is very consistent. I get 1300fps from my 4" Glock 20 using 180gr XTP bullets, AA#9, and CCI350 primers. Magnum pistol primers really aren't a problem with slow powders in 10mm as long as you work up the load with them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't like 800x. Yes, it's the highest velocity of all the powders I've tried, but I've never been able to get two cases charged the same, and have to trickle every. single. stinking. one. AA#9 is a close second for velocity, and is very consistent. I get 1300fps from my 4" Glock 20 using 180gr XTP bullets, AA#9, and CCI350 primers. Magnum pistol primers really aren't a problem with slow powders in 10mm as long as you work up the load with them.
Oh trust me, I just figured out the amount of trickling I have to do with it too!! Definitely glad I only grabbed a pound of it :a43:

So you like AA#9 as far as consistency & velocity.

What's everyone else's favorite or go to powder for their 10mm rounds?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
800-X is horrible stuff to reload, its been described as small corn flakes. That aside it delivers great velocity, consistency as well as accuracy in the 10MM. I use it for those reasons and the fact that I have a lot it.....hand throw every round (therapy) and use a 1/4 teaspoon to bump the scale.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use Longshot and standard CCI and Rem large pistol primers in my G40. I'm loading under max but still driving 185/190 grain cast bullets at 1325 and 1250 respectively. Bullets are cast from the Oreo designed mold and sized to .401 for the KKM barrel.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
10mm 165 gr

I only shoot 165's in my G20. Use No. 9 powder, as it provides ample velocities and low flash.

165 GDHP
15.2 gr. No. 9
WLP primers
Starline brass

1256 fps/578 ft/lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts