6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to run a set of test loads thru my newest build yesterday morning. It's an 11.5" ARP on an Anderson upper, PSA lower, SB4 brace & Geissele 2-stage trigger.

Load details:
AA2200
1-Fired SSA casings
CCI #41 primers
COAL = 2.290"

I ran a ladder at 224 yds, firing 1 round per charge starting at 26.5 gr., working up to 29.5 gr. in 0.5 gr. increments. Casings & primers looked good up til 29.5 gr. The primer @ 29.5 was flattened so I'm calling that max....no need to push it any further for the distances I'll be using this combo for.

Charges 28.5, 29, & 29.5 printed a 1.6"x1.1"x0.9" triangle so I'll load up 5 rds each @ 28.5 & 29 gr & give them another go (28.5 & 29 had a 0.9" spread).

Here's a picture of the target. I think I'm on right track as far as re-visiting 28.5 & 29 but any input is appreciated.

The rifle will get a Burris RT-6 (or thermal) after I'm done with load development.

20210530_111457.jpg
20210530_111309.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track with those loads. Good looking rig too. Is that film dip or a spray camo finish? I have a 11.3 Wilson Combat I picked up that is set up a lot like yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you are on the right track with those loads. Good looking rig too. Is that film dip or a spray camo finish? I have a 11.3 Wilson Combat I picked up that is set up a lot like yours.
Thanks. It's just rattle can. I used some dark gray primer as a base coat which is why it has such a dull look too it.

My other 6.8 pistol is a 11.3 Wilson Combat. It's a pretty good shooter but I had to have the gas port drilled out after putting it together. I hear that's a pretty common problem with them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine functions 100% with every load I have tried, but it was built by another forum member. It has an adj gas block so it may have been drilled out too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You should find something that will group nicely between 28.5 - 29.0
Keep us posted with a follow up

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got out Sunday afternoon. Perfect day....hardly any wind & 62*.

I loaded up 2 sets of 4.

1 @ 28.5 gr (A) & 1 @ 29 gr. (B), COAL @ 2.290". Both groups shot @ 118 yds.

Neither group was close to what I'm looking for but I think 29 gr has more potential. I think a COAL adjustment might do the trick to bring the 2-2 shot groups together.

20210601_200019.jpg

20210601_200035.jpg

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
When I've seen targets like this where the grouping is large but its like 2 different loads shot at the same time, e.g., two separate groups, they were the exact same loads but there was two different brass in the lot. Is there any chance this has occurred here? Even if the same brass, e.g., SSA, it could be two different lots, especially with all the changes going on with SSA/Nosler.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would suggest seeing how it does with some factory loads , Hornady sst Is the one to beat in all three of my ARP barrels. If factory shoot crappy something is wrong other than ammo . I would like to see the velocity spread between them .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I've seen targets like this where the grouping is large but its like 2 different loads shot at the same time, e.g., two separate groups, they were the exact same loads but there was two different brass in the lot. Is there any chance this has occurred here? Even if the same brass, e.g., SSA, it could be two different lots, especially with all the changes going on with SSA/Nosler.
It's very possible. The brass used is all 1-fired factory stuff from both SSA & Wilson Combat. In hindsight I shouldn't have mixed it all together but too late now I guess.

What's the remedy for this? Separate by weight?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
If there is no difference in the headstamp, then check to see if there is a weight difference. I stopped using SSA brass after Nosler bought them so I really don't have much experience with the newest production.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nice setup and pretty good rattle can job.
Looking forward to what load you settle on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts