6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the bullet info gathering threads. No questions or commentary; start another thread if you need to. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet, load data, etc...

If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Here is my data with the 105 MKZ on my first range session. I shoot single powder charge vs velocity ladders when I first get a new bullet to find the performance boundaries and look for indications of the accuracy node. In this situation, I used 0.5 grain increments. Note I load longer than mag length frequently to look for better accuracy. I found the node for my rifle 18" ARP. I have continued to maintain 0.5 MOA groupings with the 105 MKZ.

Note, Hornady and Federal brass has less capacity so you will need to reduce your starting load at least another 0.5 grains to compensate.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
They should open up fine but cut a triangle hole in the off-side hide.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wonder how Hodgdon H4198 works with the 105 MKZ's? Just found a couple pounds in my stash and got me to thinking.

Hodgdon shows:

Min load of 24gr and a max of 26.5gr with the H4198 and 100gr BAR X bullet (whatever that is), COL 2.260"

Min load of 25.2gr and a max of 27.4gr with H4198 and 85gr BAR TAC-X FB bullet, COL 2.230"

Barnes shows:

Min load of 25.5gr and a max of 27.5gr with H4198 and 95gr TTSX, COL 2.240"

Maybe I could start around 25gr and work up to 27.5gr with H4198 and the 105gr MKZ, COL 2.285"-ish.
I will be using CCI450 primers and Hornady brass (can't remember if I'm using REM brass or not, but it will be all the same either way).

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I wonder how Hodgdon H4198 works with the 105 MKZ's? Just found a couple pounds in my stash and got me to thinking.

Hodgdon shows:

Min load of 24gr and a max of 26.5gr with the H4198 and 100gr BAR X bullet (whatever that is), COL 2.260"

Min load of 25.2gr and a max of 27.4gr with H4198 and 85gr BAR TAC-X FB bullet, COL 2.230"

Barnes shows:

Min load of 25.5gr and a max of 27.5gr with H4198 and 95gr TTSX, COL 2.240"

Maybe I could start around 25gr and work up to 27.5gr with H4198 and the 105gr MKZ, COL 2.285"-ish.
I will be using CCI450 primers and Hornady brass (can't remember if I'm using REM brass or not, but it will be all the same either way).
If using CCI450 then you are not using REM brass as you are using Small Rifle Primers and REM brass uses Large Rifle Primers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If using CCI450 then you are not using REM brass as you are using Small Rifle Primers and REM brass uses Large Rifle Primers.

I was referring to the Hornady "REM" headstamped brass. Figured that was clear since I said Hornady, and there's two headstamped hornady brasses, mine would all be the same. My bad.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wonder how this would fair on lighter animals like coyotes?
I've killed a few coyotes with the 105s and they are not fur friendly if that's what your looking for. Massive carnage and none of them took a step. And that's out of a 12.5". One was about 85 yards, another was between 290 and 320 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've killed a few coyotes with the 105s and they are not fur friendly if that's what your looking for. Massive carnage and none of them took a step. And that's out of a 12.5". One was about 85 yards, another was between 290 and 320 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Niiiice.

We hunt predators for the livestock and game bird protection. I want DRT so I'm not too concerned with the fur.

I got some loaded up last night on my Dillon 550b; started at 27gr with A2200, half grain steps up to 29.5gr. I normally load three for each charge in small increments, but after reading some posts here, I'm going to try the half grain increments and one round each step, looking for a cluster of close shots. I hope it should save time and components. I know some have settled on 29gr but also some started seeing huge pressure signs at 28gr. My 16" Wilson seems to do well with hot loads that I've worked up with H322 and a variety of projectiles; but I understand A2200 is a different animal, as is the 105gr MKZ.

Its raining like a horse pissing on a flat rock right now so it might be a few days before I get to try them. I want to at least get a decent load figured out for this coming Monday, I work in a bank and have Monday off for the Genocidal-Maniac-Conquer-the-World Day. Going to wake up early and head out for a day of calling.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Settling on 29gr of A2200 at 2.280" in Hornady brass with cci450 primers.

Muzzle velocity about 2745fps today in 89° weather. Groups were about 1.5" at 100y so not the best. In both groups I had two that were overlapping and then one 1.5" away, high and low. Probably me?

Afterwards I shot .61" group with Hornady factory 110gr V-Max, about 2640fps.

Wondering if I should slow the MKZ's down a bit and see if that helps my groups.

16" Wilson combat LW barrel.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Settling on 29gr of A2200 at 2.280" in Hornady brass with cci450 primers.

Muzzle velocity about 2745fps today in 89° weather. Groups were about 1.5" at 100y so not the best. In both groups I had two that were overlapping and then one 1.5" away, high and low. Probably me?

Afterwards I shot .61" group with Hornady factory 110gr V-Max, about 2640fps.

Wondering if I should slow the MKZ's down a bit and see if that helps my groups.

16" Wilson combat LW barrel.
Depending on your barrel and if there are any pressure signs you could try a little faster or a bit slower to tighten the group.
You could also try 2.285 or 2.29 with your 29gr load and see if that tightens it up.
It sounds like your close to an accuracy node.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Depending on your barrel and if there are any pressure signs you could try a little faster or a bit slower to tighten the group.
You could also try 2.285 or 2.29 with your 29gr load and see if that tightens it up.
It sounds like your close to an accuracy node.

Yeah 29gr was just starting to show a little bit of flat primers. 29.5gr was really flat, starting to crater, and a massive ejector mark. I think 29gr is as high as I want to go with this barrel.

I'm going to play with the COL a little bit. But really for what I'm using them for, they should be good enough and plenty deadly.

This was my first foray with A2200 and I love it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Put the hammer down on a nice sized male coyote last weekend.

105gr MKZ
29gr AA2200 powder
Hornady brass
cci#450 primer
2.280" length
16" Wilson Combat LW barrel
About 2740 MV (probably less since it was 34* and I chrono'd at 90*)

Shot was at 100y just barely behind the shoulder, broadside.

The coyote dropped immediately. The MKZ went through fully (heard the ricochet) and left a half dollar sized hole on the far side. When I tossed the carcass, the blood that was flung in the air looked like a water hose spraying. Next time I'll do a better investigation of the damage and try to get a picture of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts