6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length .872"
BC- .307

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
From an 18" SPCII barrel:

Fired SSA brass, CCI 41 primer, AA2200, 2.280", light crimp.

<tbody>
</tbody>

No pressure issues in this rifle. The 30.6 gr load produced ~3/4" group. There is probably room for more velocity, but YMMV.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't tried these with AA2200 yet which will probably give a higher velocity, but I had good results with 28.5 gr of RE10X in my Stag 20". Loaded to 2.250" the velocity was 2,732 fps and a 3 shot 100 yard group was .642". Absolutely no pressure signs and I could have gone higher, but I was happy with the accuracy.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Loaded some of these with 29.4 AA2200, CCI450 primers, SSA brass trimmed, COL set at 2.290. Shot from a 16 ARP recon with a Wilson flash hider. Used a 4 power ACOG for glass. Had a mild cross wind to deal with as well as a sunset in the face. I was running in the 2650 to 2675 FPS range. This is a nice load that is not over powered. I'm running a Tubbs SSS recoil spring with a H buffer and milspec BCG.

This is a five shot group. 100 yards. I was happy with the way this load preformed.
IMG_0129.jpg

After I adjusted the scope for this load I played around a little at 100 yards. This a mini IDPA or IPSC AR-500 target. I put a clay at the top just to give an idea the size of the target. Made a head shot, Just a little to the left but not bad. IMG_0130.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Anyone tried these on hogs. I'm just curious even though they sound like more of a varmint bullet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
This is a bullet I would like to take a hog with. I think this is a sleeper bullet that most people pass over. A friend of mine took a hog with a 22-250 and a 50gr varmint bullet. I'm thinking this is a bad idea when we went to the woods. The 22-250 with a varmint bullet pretty much blew off the whole side of the pigs head. I found a eyeball about ten feet from where he dropped the pig.

After seeing that, giving these bullets a try may be worth it, even though these may be a varmint bullet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think the hornady softpoint bullets are underrated. I've killed a truckload of deer with the 55 gr softpoint in 225 winchester with ribcage shots
and had several with complete penetration with massive exit wounds. I've got about a thousand of these 100 grain hornadys and they shoot great under 30 gr of AA2200, Rem 7 1/2, OAL 2.285 in Stag 7h. Picked up some RL10X and H335 the other day and going to try them out too.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Couple WT's 30-100 yds, all bullets recovered. Cores were sepertaed from jacket. 2500 FPS +/-.
I have shot deer and pigs with this bullet and never seen a core separation? I shot a pig at almost point blank at about 2800fps. The bullet busted apart but did not separate the lead core from the jacket

Never mind. We are not talking about the 100gr Accubond.

·
Banned
7,803 Posts
Do you think they will bring this bullet back? It says temporarily suspended, I hope the temporarily part is true... good weight/design/BC.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Do you think they will bring this bullet back? It says temporarily suspended, I hope the temporarily part is true... good weight/design/BC.
I like it, but sales were probably low as there isn't much activity in this thread or any factory ammo with it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Two Does taken this year with 100 grain Hornady softpoint.
1. Frontal shot. Hit her directly in sternum about 80 yards. Broke Sternum, took out heart and pic below shows
what it did to ribs. The core exited deer, the jacket was in 3rd rib.
2.Ranged at 264 yards. Broadside, barely clipped shoulder on left side, both lungs hit, bullet exit two ribs broken
and 1 inch exit. No bullet fragments or jacket found in deer. Bullet did expand as damage was severe.
Interestingly, deer #1 ran short while after hit and deer # 2 dropped on spot.

Load: Hornady brass, 100 gr Hornady sp #2710, 30 gr AA2200, Rem 7.5 primers, 2.285 OAL

·
Banned
7,803 Posts
Two Does taken this year with 100 grain Hornady softpoint.
1. Frontal shot. Hit her directly in sternum about 80 yards. Broke Sternum, took out heart and pic below shows
what it did to ribs. The core exited deer, the jacket was in 3rd rib.
2.Ranged at 264 yards. Broadside, barely clipped shoulder on left side, both lungs hit, bullet exit two ribs broken
and 1 inch exit. No bullet fragments or jacket found in deer. Bullet did expand as damage was severe.
Interestingly, deer #1 ran short while after hit and deer # 2 dropped on spot.

Load: Hornady brass, 100 gr Hornady sp #2710, 30 gr AA2200, Rem 7.5 primers, 2.285 OAL
Where did you get the bullets? Just had them? Can't find them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Where did you get the bullets? Just had them? Can't find them anywhere.
These were on Hornady's suspended list and may be difficult to find right now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, I just had them. Over the years from estate sales to garage sales I've purchased anything 270 related. These in particular
were probably made in the 80's or 90's but they shoot well. At 6.8 velocities, this is perfect for whitetails. Puts the hammer down
on 'yotes too. I hope they bring them back.

·
Banned
7,803 Posts
Yes, I just had them. Over the years from estate sales to garage sales I've purchased anything 270 related. These in particular
were probably made in the 80's or 90's but they shoot well. At 6.8 velocities, this is perfect for whitetails. Puts the hammer down
on 'yotes too. I hope they bring them back.

I hope they do, too... good weight, BC, performance. I could use them. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to the 6.8 (still working on getting my first one completed). I have a bunch of these guys I'm looking forward to trying out! I'm glad to see some others using them with success. These were passed on from my dad who must have liked them in his 270. Some are in good shape and some have a lot of tarnish on them. Any easy ways to clean them up?

Oh, interesting side note.. The price tag on the box of 100 is $6.30!:a21:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh, interesting side note.. The price tag on the box of 100 is $6.30!:a21:[/QUOTE]

Now that's just downright CRUEL !!!!! :a33:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts