1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Plenty of whumpim there ! Congrats.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Great bullets . The 90 grain gd/ fusion gets a lot of attention but other than being available as a realitive cheap loading component It doesn't have anything on it's big brother the 115 grain fusion as far as hunting goes .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great bullets . The 90 grain gd/ fusion gets a lot of attention but other than being available as a realitive cheap loading component It doesn't have anything on it's big brother the 115 grain fusion as far as hunting goes .

The 115's are accurate and lethal, I've dropped a few deer with them and all were DRT.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Close, 30-40 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have your taken anything futher than this using the 10.5?

Reason I ask I had a 10.5 Noveske and anything past 100 I would not get DRT. Wondering if it is the length or barrel.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
We know from experience that the 12.5" arp has worked well at ranges of 200 yds and more. No doubt velocity continues to decrease with shorter barrels. One of the advantages of the 6.8 is that velocity taper down is not as large as some calibers.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Reason I ask I had a 10.5 Noveske and anything past 100 I would not get DRT. Wondering if it is the length or barrel.
This was his first time using the 10.5, just built it last fall. 1st hog was a bang/flop and he didn’t realize it went through and killed the 2nd until finding blood while retrieving the 1st. The 115 went through both shoulders of the 1st before knocking out the 2nd.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
This was his first time using the 10.5, just built it last fall. 1st hog was a bang/flop and he didn’t realize it went through and killed the 2nd until finding blood while retrieving the 1st. The 115 went through both shoulders of the 1st before knocking out the 2nd.

Cool keep us posted on effective range. Did not have much luck with a 10.5 noveske but the 12.5 ARP hit the sweet spot. Seen plenty of non ARP 10.5 showing the same lack of effective range limits but nothing on the ARP 10.5.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

What bullets and what velosisity? Different bullets have different effective minimum velosisity ranges .

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
What bullets and what velosisity? Different bullets have different effective minimum velosisity ranges .

Tried everything that is proven in my 12.5, 16 or 20 (100AB, 120sst, etc) and of course pushed them as hard as possible without blowing my face off. I would have to dig out the load data to get exact numbers as this was several years ago. I do recall they all were at or slightly over the manufcures minumum bullet velocity requirements.

It just seemed that I was always looking for blood trails when using the 10.5" but the 12.5" and longer the DRT average was much higher. Unscientific but noticeable difference with the 2 extra inches. However the 12.5" is a ARP and the 10.5" was a noveske which makes me wonder if the lack of performance in my 10.5 was barrel construction or barrel length hence asking for opinion of the OP.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
H has posted here prior that the 12.5 arp barrel is longer than that as I recall. Mine appears to be more like 13.5" measuring from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. If that is the case, it is probably 60-75 fps faster than a 10.5"

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Tried everything that is proven in my 12.5, 16 or 20 (100AB, 120sst, etc) and of course pushed them as hard as possible without blowing my face off. I would have to dig out the load data to get exact numbers as this was several years ago. I do recall they all were at or slightly over the manufcures minumum bullet velocity requirements.

It just seemed that I was always looking for blood trails when using the 10.5" but the 12.5" and longer the DRT average was much higher. Unscientific but noticeable difference with the 2 extra inches. However the 12.5" is a ARP and the 10.5" was a noveske which makes me wonder if the lack of performance in my 10.5 was barrel construction or barrel length hence asking for opinion of the OP.
When working at manufacturers min . advised velosisity you don't have much distance . The min velosisity means the bullet needs to be going that fast on impact . There is another thread open discussing a huge difference in velosisity between 2 barrels with just a couple of inches difference. If two barrels of the same length are compared and say one is has 3r = more velosisity -shorter distance to lands = more velosisity - possible tighter chamber = more velosisity . It is possible to gain 100 yards easy with same length , even more with 2" more barrel. 120 grain cavity back has about the lowest working velosisity and might be best choice for short barrels and long distance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is what I know based on chrono data and kills on my property. Shooting 110 Hornady GMX running a AAC SDN6 can on my 12.5” ARP rig, I was averaging 2520 FPS. 90 grain fusions averaged 2770 FPS. Hornady 110 American Gunner HPBT averaged 2500 FPS, they also are insanely accurate out past 300 yards. That round has dropped two 250lb plus hogs at that distance. I hit three more that made it less than 75 yards before giving up the ghost. Now, I realize that that is not the best hunting round but, I have a lot of them, and they are crazy accurate. I’m still doing load development with the 105 CBB’s and have high hopes. Short version is that the 12.5” ARP barrel is without question lethal out to 300 yards. Here is a pic of the 12.5, and the 16” rig, both ARP barrels, today, I hit a water bottle at 320 yards with the 16” rig. Granted, that’s off a Caldwell sled but, you get the idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts