6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on a 10-22 build. I would like to have something relatively heavy but still light enough to shoot freehand squirrel hunting. Ideally, I would like to spend around $500 for a stock, barrel, and trigger, but I'm ok with skipping the trigger for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ruger has their 10/22 drop in trigger. Tried it at the gun shop today and it's pretty slick for under $100. Don't remember what our shop had it listed for but you can get it cheaper online. I like Tactical Solutions barrels too. Light, rigid, accurate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looking for some advice on a 10-22 build. I would like to have something relatively heavy but still light enough to shoot freehand squirrel hunting. Ideally, I would like to spend around $500 for a stock, barrel, and trigger, but I'm ok with skipping the trigger for now.

Here is my suggestions based on a nice 10/22 build I did several years back. Was an absolute tack driver even though it was a bit heavy. I had over $800 in mine when I was done but I bought several little trick bits for the fire control group that ran the cost up. None were needed. Just wanted.

Start with a new stock. I suggest the Hogue over moulded rubber or composite free float for the factory barrel. The Hogue stock fits like a glove and really makes the rifle feel more like an adult rifle. The factory barrel is plenty accurate for hunting and plinking.

Or, do as I did. I opted to replace the barrel with a 20" Green Mountain .920 stainless bull barrel and buy the Hogue stock to free float the .920 barrel. This is where the extra weight comes in. Bull barrels are heavy if not fluted or made of carbon composites.

As stated, do not scrimp on trigger. A drop in Kidd, or other quality trigger group, is available with a little saving up. Make so much difference in trigger control and accuracy. The factory rifle, with just a good drop in trigger group would be more than accurate for hunting and target practice. Head shots on squirrels at 50 yards no problem. Even the $80 Ruger BX trigger is a step up from the factory one.

I am older and cannot see as well now. So I bought a new scope for mine. 3-9x40 is good for me. Makes a lot of difference in where I can place my shots. No need to spend a fortune on glass. A scope in the $100 to $150 range is more than enough rimfire scope.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't intend on completely skipping the trigger, just saying I would be ok with investing $500 on the barrel and stock initially and then saving for the trigger later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put a Federsen barrel on mine with a Titan stock and a Kidd trigger , trigger kit works good also and a Vortex diamondback 4x16 scope.
I can hit dimes at 50yrds with this setup.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I sent my trigger pack to Brimstone for their tier 2 work, very impressive. I added the Kidd bolt w/ buffer, bolt handle and guide rod/spring kit also. It wasn't reliable until all that was done, now it eats anything and runs really smooth.

When we went to bust some squirrels my buddy laughed, it looks like a toy with the Burris FF2, 6" bbl and suppressor. He loved it..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Green Mountain running boar profile is a nice mid weight option. Built one of those and just painted the wood stock camo. Just sold another one for my mom, had a spiral fluted green mtn. with painted flutes to match the black/red boyds thumb hole stock.

Check out rim fire central for a whole world of 10/22 options. Even 80% 10/22 or brass receiver 10/22 builds!

-Alexander

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ok, I am a cheapo. Sort of, I put a Timney trigger in one and a Ruger drop in in the other. Just couldn't resist that Ruger gator. JMHO but if you put a good trigger on you will be very happy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a Titan barrel that shoots under half an inch. Let me know if you're interested. I replaced it only because it isn't threaded. I have almost all Kidd parts now and it shoots about .1" groups at 50 yards with Lapua ammo. With CCI standard it is only about 1/4" at 50.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Take a look at Hornet Products. I picked up their Black Max 2.25 trigger for $130 and it's a great trigger. They will give you $30 if you mail them your factory trigger. I sold my factory trigger for $75 on eBay.

For a barrel I would at a Kidd 18" and a Boyd's stock. Should be a great shooter.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Finally got my rail parts to finish this one. I have to say, prices on the parts from thecountryshed.com were great. Bought the parts to get the ATN mounted back far enough. I moved the IR illuminator to the 45 degree rail on the base.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Finally got my rail parts to finish this one. I have to say, prices on the parts from thecountryshed.com were great. Bought the parts to get the ATN mounted back far enough. I moved the IR illuminator to the 45 degree rail on the base.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
Nice rifle, better tighten that scope up its about to fall off. :a21:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.