6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I had some one ask me this question while driving down the street---- "why is the flag at 1/2 mast?"

I will add my response once we see what a few others have to say

It wasn't at 1/2 mast, it was at 1/2 staff---1/2 mast is only for navy ships , 1/2 staff is on land

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
For the largest loss of life in a single civilian shooting, something like that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wife and I also had a quick discussion about that. We both are unsure but isnt half mast supposed to be reserved for military? I hoping to see some answers from people that know more than I. Of course I could look it up but Id like to hear other peoples thoughts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yesterday I had some one ask me this question while driving down the street---- "why is the flag at 1/2 mast?"

I will add my response once we see what a few others have to say
It's media driven and happening because people don't know proper protocol for flying the flag. It shouldn't be at half staff. It's possible that the president ordered it, but even then it's a case of he doesn't know what he's doing.

That said it's also possible that a Texas state official (former or current) died or a Texan member of the Armed forces Died in active duty. In that case the Governor has the authority to order them flown at half staff in that state.

I'm leaning more towards the first reason, but not being from Texas I have no way of knowing.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
From the Nov.-Dec. 1994 National Flag Foundations "Standard Bearer" Magazine.
This article remains the copyrighted material of the National Flag Foundation and is presented here by permission.

[HR][/HR]Flying the flag at half-staff is an area of flag etiquette that most people want to make sure they get right. It is also an area for which the road to error is routinely paved with good intentions. With that in mind, we offer this refresher course as the all-important intersection where knowledge meets benevolence.
FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.
In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).
GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.
We owe that respect to our living, our dead and our flag.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
For the largest loss of life in a single civilian shooting, something like that.
A sign of respect for humanity's loss regardless of religious, political, or personal beliefs triggered by the media.

I edited and added the media part , my example there is we as a human race experience great losses all the time (recently 9 soldiers lost their lives at Fort Hood) , did we go half mast for that?

Why not?

Story here: http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/381890761.html
Neither of those are exceptable.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The Governor of Florida ordered the flag to half mast down here. Maybe the President did so also, I don't know.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It appears that Obummer did order half-staff. Regardless both he and the FL governor were wrong for doing so.

The governor only has authority to raise to half-staff under certain few situations and this is not one of them.

The president does have authority to order half-staff for national tragedies. Pearl Harbor, 9/11 those are national tragedies. Yes these recent attacks are sad days in American history, but if he doing it for every thing that happens it's going to cheapen the symbolism.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't mean to make light of the tragedy, but my personal opinion is that only Presidents, Governors, foreign dignitaries, and Memorials in recognition for veterans if requested by the President should be pretty much the only time we lower it to half mast.

Virtually no known flag etiquette code exists, that allows for the flag to be flown at half mast for civilians. With the sad political correctness our country's state of mind is in, we will be getting reports of a little child killed by an alligator, then... "Oh lower the flag for the poor lad." It's not like that now but... Trust me, the ignorance of our public is leading in that direction.

I'm sorry, but the sad fact of a school full of innocent children (the most shocking imo.), and a bar full of drunk party goers doesn't seem any more important than losing soldiers honorably in battle. Did we lower the flag every single day during the battle of Fallujah? No. So why are those dozens and dozens of brave Marines worth less? If we keep lowering the flag to half mast and making exceptions for every person that dies in a tragedy, the dang thing will be at half mast everyday.

http://www.usflag.org/nffhalfstaff.html

Set some basic standards for our flag, and stick to it.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Did anyone read post #6?

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,642 Posts
I was driving through the neighborhood yesterday and for some reason there were a couple of kids (I think one was wearing a boy scout uniform) walking down the street holding a big pole with an American Flag on it. Well, he was just dragging that flag on the ground as he flippity flopped his limp little wrists down the street. I had enough, I rolled down the window and yelled at the top of my lungs: "GET THAT FLAG OFF THE GROUND!"

I didn't see his mother in the driveway (they were both asian, so I guess it was his mother) Oh man, she looked at me with fear in her.... eyes. I was pissed....

I dunno anymore... I dunno. And I'm 35. I can only imagine 60 years ago.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,642 Posts
You know what, don't get me started.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You know what, don't get me started.
Bout what, you already started. :p

I was driving through the neighborhood yesterday and for some reason there were a couple of kids (I think one was wearing a boy scout uniform) walking down the street holding a big pole with an American Flag on it. Well, he was just dragging that flag on the ground as he flippity flopped his limp little wrists down the street. I had enough, I rolled down the window and yelled at the top of my lungs: "GET THAT FLAG OFF THE GROUND!"
I'm only a couple years younger than you and grew up in the scouting program. When I was a scout we were taught flag ettiquite, and actually did flag presentations for local events. Treating it like that would not have been accepted.

Scouting, yet another thing that out politically correct society has screwed up.

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
Big deal on the local news... the Gov. of WA had a ceremony at the State Capital, he put (personally) the rainbow flag up to half-staff for a crowd of folks gathering there to watch. :a32:

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Neither the Governor or the President has the authority to order this for a situation like this. Period.

·
Registered
482 Posts
He, (potus) is more closely related to and aligned with the unfortunate that met their demise at the gay bar.
Honor and valor, required by military, is above him.
I would continue, but you see where this is going...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Big deal on the local news... the Gov. of WA had a ceremony at the State Capital, he put (personally) the rainbow flag up to half-staff for a crowd of folks gathering there to watch. :a32:
Of course, from the description, it was done the wrong way. The right way is to raise it fully to the top, and *then* lower it to halfmast. But hey, what can you expect?

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts