6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm Just about to buy a 6.8 upper for the AR and I'm a Southpaw so I'm deciding between a STAG and a Ko-Tonics LH. I live by the KISS principle so the STAG 5HL seems like my best bet. As well, this gun will be my bench-seat buddy while I cruise the ranch so it needs to be tough and no nonsense. I'm going to put an EoTech on it with ARMS BUIS and thats it. So thats where my question comes in...Ko-tonics claims on their site that the 1-11" twist rate is better than the 1-10" and that the mid-length gas system is better than a carbine length gas system. I'd like some opinion on this and on any experience with the 2 companies as far as ordering direct from them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Fyrwolf said:
Hey All, I'm Just about to buy a 6.8 upper for the AR and I'm a Southpaw so I'm deciding between a STAG and a Ko-Tonics LH. I live by the KISS principle so the STAG 5HL seems like my best bet. As well, this gun will be my bench-seat buddy while I cruise the ranch so it needs to be tough and no nonsense. I'm going to put an EoTech on it with ARMS BUIS and thats it. So thats where my question comes in...Ko-tonics claims on their site that the 1-11" twist rate is better than the 1-10" and that the mid-length gas system is better than a carbine length gas system. I'd like some opinion on this and on any experience with the 2 companies as far as ordering direct from them.
The 1:11" twist and the longer throat are what set the Ko-Tonics barrels apart from the others. The 1:11" twist creates less pressure. (Sorry, I can't explain it too well.). The Mid-Length gas system is nicer on the AR than the Carbine length gas system so it is also better.

If you want a 16" chrome lined barrel, it is hard to beat the Ko-Tonics for everything it offers and the price. If you want a 16" SS barrel, then check out the WOA or Denny's Guns which are also 1:11" twist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Paul,
I should say that I definitely want a Chrome lined barrel due to ease of maintenance, longer life, and corrosion resistance. I will probably also be sticking with standard 110gr loads and if I do reload the same holds true. Is the 1-11" twist better with lighter bullets like 90-100gr and 1-10" better with heavy bullets like 120-130gr.? (I'm going on the .223 1-9" twist at 55gr vs. 1-7" twist at 75gr logic). :idea: If this is the case then it makes sense.
It just seems that every other manufacturer is doing 1-10" including LWRC and their gas piston system. If they made a gas piston system with a LH upper, I wouldn't care how much it cost!!! I'm actually considering abandoning the whole LH upper thing anyway. I've always had and used .223 AR's in right hand config. so a LH might screw me up. :roll: I have never been hit in the face with brass in prob 5000rnds in both an A2 and M4 upper so why bother. I actually like being on the ejection side the more I think about it because I can witness stoppages, final round hold open, & chamber condition without doing anymore than tilting the weapon slightly left. Kinda cool actually... maybe I'll look into a gas-piston system. 8) Thanx for your quick response.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Fyrwolf said:
Thanx Paul,
I should say that I definitely want a Chrome lined barrel due to ease of maintenance, longer life, and corrosion resistance. I will probably also be sticking with standard 110gr loads and if I do reload the same holds true. Is the 1-11" twist better with lighter bullets like 90-100gr and 1-10" better with heavy bullets like 120-130gr.? (I'm going on the .223 1-9" twist at 55gr vs. 1-7" twist at 75gr logic). :idea: If this is the case then it makes sense.
It just seems that every other manufacturer is doing 1-10" including LWRC and their gas piston system. If they made a gas piston system with a LH upper, I wouldn't care how much it cost!!! I'm actually considering abandoning the whole LH upper thing anyway. I've always had and used .223 AR's in right hand config. so a LH might screw me up. :roll: I have never been hit in the face with brass in prob 5000rnds in both an A2 and M4 upper so why bother. I actually like being on the ejection side the more I think about it because I can witness stoppages, final round hold open, & chamber condition without doing anymore than tilting the weapon slightly left. Kinda cool actually... maybe I'll look into a gas-piston system. 8) Thanx for your quick response.
The 1:11" twist is good for the 90-135 Gr. bullets. But it is very similar to the .223 twists. DocGKR thinks that in the end, the ideal twist for the 6.8SPC will be the 1:12" twist, so the 1:11" twist is in the right direction.

As far as left handed and right handed, it doesn't matter to me. I mainly shoot right handed, but I also train left handed. I actually though about a gas piston set-up for a while, but it is not worht it for me. If the price was the same as a DI system, I would check one out, but not at the prices LWRC is charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanx again paul,
I have to sleep on it for a while but I prob will go with a Ko-Tonics then. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts