Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here

Thread: AA 2200 powder

6.8 SPC Fan

Default AA 2200 powder

In the late `90's Accurate was peddling 2200, a fine ball powder with a great burn rate for 223-222-221 family, the 7.62x39, and many others. Many in our area used it for thousands of 223 loads in NRA Highpower competition (reduced ranges).
    It bottomed out at about $48/8 lb jug! I still have almost 16 lbs of the 32 lbs I bought, and decided to give it a try in the 6.8.

Starting low, the one load tried so far was under Hornady 100gr SP, with an apparently mild load yielding ~2730fps.

Now 2200 appears to be again available, though not at a discount. The Graf's flyer that arrived today lists it in 1 lb and 8 lb units. It should be very applicable in the 6.8, and I will contact Western Powders to see if data is, or will be, available.

There is lots of the earlier 2200 stashed away in various relaoders supplies; snag some if you can!

68Forums.com Team Member

what is the burn rate inbetween?
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

6.8 SPC Fan

Slower than 1680, faster than 2230. Not found in many charts, due to its limited offering. See the attached pdf for load data.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/s...20calibers.pdf

68Forums.com Team Member

So I am guessing it is around the same as RE7? H322? if so it should be good for the 85's and 90's maybe even the 100 grain bullets.....
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

68Forums.com Team Member

Looks good for 100 grs. 2730 fps with a MILD load. More room to go a little hotter. Potential to 2900 with 100 gr?? I'll be watching for more on this one. Thanks GSS.

6.8 SPC Fan

Response from Ramshot/Western powders regarding 2200:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Greg,

Although it’s on our sales list we are still awaiting product from our manufacturers.

However, it will be very close the original powder.

We will develop loads for the 6.8SPC as soon as we have the first production batch.

(The “AA” Accurate Arms prefix does not apply anymore)

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot/Accurate Powders

Administrator

Good to hear.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

Combat/Flight medic- 88-94, Flight Nurse 94-08, Chief Nurse / CCATT 05-08, Marksmanship Team 00-08
    Tours -Desert storm 2, Somalia 1, Bosnia 3, Afghan. 2, Iraq 1