Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default A good load for the 223 with the hornady 75 BTHP ?

Was wandering cabellas today and picked up 100 pieces of lapua brass and some hornandy bullets and the RCBS dies, looking for a accurate load for my 20 inch 1-7 wylde chamber upper....
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

Administrator

I'm working on a load just like that for a WOA 1-7 18". With the Hornady 75gr BTHP and 23.4gr Varget set at OAL 2.250 I'm getting 1 MOA at 2527fps average. Still working... I have some loads with up to 24.1gr and some more with AA2520 but I haven't gotten a change to try them out. I hope to try them Tuesday and I'll let you know what I get.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

Combat/Flight medic- 88-94, Flight Nurse 94-08, Chief Nurse / CCATT 05-08, Marksmanship Team 00-08
    Tours -Desert storm 2, Somalia 1, Bosnia 3, Afghan. 2, Iraq 1

6.8 SPC Fan

I got 5k of an unnamed 75gr hpbt from Wideners this summer. In a buying spree I also bought a 16# of TAC. Not having high power optics on the new 16", 1 in 7 I didn't get any accuracy report on the last range (ranch) trip. I accidently loaded five rounds with 25.0 gr of TAC which is over the recommended limit. In the 5.56 chamber I got no pressure signs. Primers looked good, case head maybe a tad shiny. Probably could have gone up another .5-1 gr if I didn't care about the brass. Might any way. Now I need a scope.
    Gregg
    See us for your hunting needs at doubledrophunts.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." - Norman Vincent Peale (1898-1993)
    The eyes of Texas are upon you.

Administrator

Let us know how the TAC works because I was planning on getting a pound of that to try also. I've seen some good groups with TAC.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

Combat/Flight medic- 88-94, Flight Nurse 94-08, Chief Nurse / CCATT 05-08, Marksmanship Team 00-08

68Forums.com Team Member

So what about the 68 powders I have laying around? H322/H335/RE7 and 10x? I thought I could use RE7 or something but maybe not?
    Molṑn Labé
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

Administrator

I think H322 would be good. I don't have a load for the 75gr but I do for 68gr. I used 23.2 set at 2.250 and it gets .75-1 MOA
    I've been playing with RE15 also. I don't have any of these loads fine tuned yet.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

68Forums.com Team Member

Thanks I need to look in the manual I guess... Of course I also need to move some optics around so I have some glass on that 556 upper.
    Molṑn Labé

68Forums.com Team Member

Try-

23.6 gr H335
    Win brass
    CC1 450 primers
    75 gr Hornady OTM

Usual disclaimers apply

68Forums.com Team Member

These are loads that have worked for me, some are better than others, some worked well in longer barrels.

75 grain Hornady HPBT match - nakid

2.250" oal

Remington Bench Rest 7 1/2 primers

Varget - 23.0 to 24.0

H-4895 - 22.0 to 23.0 grains*

VihtaVuori N-140 - 23.0 to 24.0

VihtaVuori - N-540 23.7 **

Reloder-15 - 23.0 to 24.0

VihtaVuori N-135 21.0 to 22.0*

These are the powders and loads that have been found to work with this bullet in the NRA highpower leagues. AA-2520 is also known to work well but I don't have any data for that powder. Heavy bullets like stick powders better than ball powders, AA-2520 is the only exception I have heard of so far.

* I have not tried these, but they have been recommended by good sources.

**I used this load in a 26" Winchester Model 70 match rifle and shot the best scores of my life that year. I average 99% over the course of six tournaments, including several cleans. I shot a 196/200 on my last outing which drove the average down. I was also using moly-coated that year. Velocity was 2712 fps which is about right compared to the reloading books, I was 100 fps faster than 20" barrel data.
    from the 12th floor of the acme building

Banned

I load them in LC brass with 24 Gr's of Varget @ 2.250" and get very nice groups, 1/2" or less at 50 yds, this is my load for this bullet since I have 500 of them and plenty of Varget. This is from a DD 16" 1:7 mid length gas barrel in my target rifle(I know I wish I would have got a SS barrel but the DD barrel shoots very well for a CL barrel). This is with a Trijicon 3x9x40 Accupoint optic with the BAC reticle which is taking a little getting used to compared to the cross hair type optics I'm used to.
    Last edited by EWP; 10-12-2009 at 09:45 PM.