Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Question LED night hunting light... Red or Green?

I am gonna get a LED flashlight like the Destroyer or EWT XLR250. The green is brighter but some guys say it spooks hogs worse than the red. Whats your opinion?
    What this world needs is a few more rednecks..... With 6.8spc AR-15's.

I just simply prefer to shoot things that bleed...

68Forums.com Team Member

is this going to be turned on before you shoot? I would think red would be better for that... blue is an option as well.
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by marinesg1012 View Post
    is this going to be turned on before you shoot? I would think red would be better for that... blue is an option as well.
    Yes. This will be used as an artificial light for night shooting out to 150 yds or so.
    What this world needs is a few more rednecks..... With 6.8spc AR-15's.

I just simply prefer to shoot things that bleed...

68Forums.com Team Member

I've got the destroyer in Green. I will tell you from firsthand experience, turning it on prior to lowering the weapon helps in not spooking the deer... which, the deer spook and pigs in the area will be alerted to this.... not that I hunt deer at night, but pigs I do... and many times have had deer alert on me and spook the pigs away for a good little while. May not be the case up in Iowa, but possible.

Coyotes and pigs however, do not spook easily when you just turn on the green light. I like the green over the red because of the added distance it gives over the red through a good scope. I can shoot 150-200 yards if needed out of a green light in moderate humidity, clear nights I haven't been able to try yet because I've been caught up doing other things unfortunately.

Just another man's opinion. Take it what it's worth. But I'm definitely a fan of the green LED destroyer.
    Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War." - George Washington to Congress in 1793

68Forums.com Team Member

I just ordered a Destroyer in green to go on my Stag model 7 with a 3x9 scope. Hopefully, I'll have it before this weekend to try on some hogs. I went with green for the added distance as well.

6.8 SPC Lover

Turning on the light prior to lowering down on the animal helps in both cases, since regardless of the animal's vision (color or monochrome) they'll perceive a light shining at them.

I can't say which would spook animal X less, but from the hunter's perspective red preserves night vision better while green and blue are great for following a blood trail.

Good luck!

68Forums.com Team Member

I have the 9W TexasBoars.com night light that has two red and one green LED, good to around 100 yards. the generic light is a almost an orange but seems to work well. I hope to get out this coming weekend to check it out for some pig testing at night (30 July-1 Aug. 2010). It seems to work well in testing, limited, in my neighborhood.
    Mike Moore
    N5RWH
    NRA# 166336949

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Go with a compact bright white light which will not spook game any worse than green/red and is much brighter per lumen, success depends on how you use it ................

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    Go with a compact bright white light which will not spook game any worse than green/red and is much brighter per lumen, success depends on how you use it ................
    Probably cheaper too! Bill has a lot of experience day and night hunting.
    Mike Moore
    N5RWH
    NRA# 166336949

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    Probably cheaper too! Bill has a lot of experience day and night hunting.
    If you want cheap LED's, get them direct from hong kong.

I have 3 cheap LED lights. My favorite cost $15.05 (free shipping). Its a 130 lumen green CREE, with nice throw.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5623