Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6.8 x 45 Kramer UCC Round

Just found this article and wanted some feedback on what you guys thought about it.

http://www.defensereview.com/68x45mm...n-warfare-ops/
    "Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson

68Forums.com Team Member

here is the thing... using the 556 case your limited to the amount of powder you can get into the case.. and as such your stil limiting your effective/terminal range. if you have to swap barrels anyways why not swap barrels bolt and mags and call it a day.
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

I guess you didn't read the entire article...Kramer states that he can get the terminal performance the same with the correct powder. It won't be quite the same fps but it's an urban combat round anyway and the price is the main point of this round. Yea only replacing the barrel vs replacing the barrel, bcg, and magazine is just as easy but the cost per round is the point.
    "Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson

68Forums.com Team Member

He is getitng 2500 with a 16 inch we are getting 2750 or so out of a 16 inch... thats about 75 yards or so longer of frag range.

You still have to "modify" mags so that is the same price... the stripper clips thing is a plus but you could make stripper clips...

My first post I didnt read the whole article, I just finished reading it... my first post still stands.. the designers of the 68 tried this before and they didnt't like the result so they went with a new case, and then retried all the same bullets and came up with the 6.8 SPC.. with the SPC II and the right spec barrel and ammo loaded to it you have a combo that is very hard to beat in a AR15.
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

I was just hoping for a "better bang for your buck" 6.8 round. I am hoping to soon buy a LWRC rifle and have really been contemplating buying one in 6.8 spc due to it's current cost, not that LWRC is going to make a different rifle in 6.8 x 45 just for me. Thanks for your insight and help!

6.8 SPC Lover

Apparently it takes a Kreiger barrel to get his velocities. A production bbl may experience more pressure.

6.8 SPC Addict

Might have been more interesting if they had used the 30 Remington (parent of 6.8 SPC) brass and kept it at 45mm instead of 43.
    "A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of a sheep."

"A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have one, you will likely never need one again"

Vern
    Semper Fi
    www.taurus45acp.com personal website with NRA-ILA feed and interesting links.
    Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AKsarben View Post
    Might have been more interesting if they had used the 30 Remington (parent of 6.8 SPC) brass and kept it at 45mm instead of 43.
    IIRC,

43mm was the maxium they could go & keep it in the M16 platform.
    18"WOA-Denny 6.8 SPCII Larue Stealth/DD14Lite

Titan Armory Extreme Owner #65

IonBond 16" Noveske soon to be mounted up to a LWRC Six8 floated by a 13" Geissele MK IV rail

68Forums.com Team Member

i also remember mag length was also part of the reason on them settling on .277 cal....shorter bullets = more powder.

Banned

Well the only up side I see to it is you could probably ream the chamber to 6.8x43 once you figured out you didn't like the 6.8x45 since it's a smaller case, maybe if the neck area isn't to long or the wrong design.