Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New to the 6.8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    23

    Default 130 grain Bullets

    Has anyone loaded any 130 grains and killed whitetail with them? If so, how did they perform?
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.
    -John Wayne

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    6,797

    Default

    It don't know about the performance but I loaded up one with 28 gr's of 10X in SSA SP brass using a #41 primer and it was pretty damn hot, I don't know if it's because my barrel is new or if that's over max but I had deep swipes and shot no more of them.

    Also using the Hornady OAL gauge I can only load that bullet to 2.230" MAX before it hits the lands in my spec-II chamber.

    Start low and load these with caution because I see lots of postings of people loading these 130 gr Speer Hot-cores to 2.250-2.260" and that will not come close to chambering in my gun.

    ETA: I have 20 more loaded at 27 gr's, if anyone knows that this is to hot as well please let me know, if not I will shoot them this weekend and report back how they did.

  3. #3
    68Forums.com Industry Partner
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    underground ARP
    Posts
    11,501

    Default

    I think Art teacher uses 130s, search his posts.
    SIX5 -6.5mm on a 6.8 case-vel of the 6.8, BCs of the 6.5
    http://www.msrhunt.com/
    http://lonestarboars.com/
    http://www.tacticalvacations.com/

    The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

  4. #4
    68Forums.com Team Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    I don't have QL fully tweeked yet but 27gr of 10X under a 130 Sierra shows 10k more pressure than 30gr Rel10X under a 110gr a Sierra PH.
    Richard
    NRA Life member
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

  5. #5
    6.8 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I have not used them for game yet but I got some good groups using an ARP 16" Recon. Sorry I don't have personal 6.8 kills but both the InterLock and the Game Kings are proven game getters.
    1/2" groups with SSA brass, BR-4 primers, 29 grains of H4895 and 130 grain Hornady InterLock SP's.
    3/4" inch groups with same loading and 130 grain Sierra Game Kings.
    Last edited by USMC6.8; 02-25-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    What was that snapping noise?
    That? That is incoming rounds my friend.......better keep your head a little lower........

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMC6.8 View Post
    I have not used them for game yet but I got some good groups using an ARP 16" Recon. Sorry I don't have personal 6.8 kills but both the InterLock and the Game Kings are proven game getters.
    1/2" groups with SSA brass, BR-4 primers, 29 grains of H4895 and 130 grain Hornady InterLock SP's.
    3/4" inch groups with same loading and 130 grain Sierra Game Kings.
    If Midway or Grafs ever get the 130gr Winchester PowerPoints back in, I'll load some up and let you folks know how they work. They appear to be short enough to be usable given our mag restrictions/COL length...

    I may try some Hawks 130gr RT for the heck of it as well. I like their products in the .458 SOCOM, and they have bullet construction that lets them expand down to pretty low velocities.
    Last edited by QuicksilverJPR; 02-26-2010 at 12:29 PM.

  7. #7
    New to the 6.8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    23

    Default

    USMC6.8,

    Whats the range you were shooting to get the 0.5 inch groups?
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.
    -John Wayne

  8. #8
    6.8 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okie_engineer View Post
    USMC6.8,

    Whats the range you were shooting to get the 0.5 inch groups?
    100 yards
    This was during the break in session to boot. The barrel was fresh out of the box and I ran about 200 rounds that day with groups no larger than 2.75". The average was about 1" with some as small as 1/8". Mind you it was about 20 degrees with intermittent snow squalls and winds in varying directions. I ran loads from 90 grains up to 130 and used three different powders. If conditions were more favorable I bet that I could have tightened things up a little more. Believe me I am not unhappy at all.
    Crappy conditions and a brand new barrel shooting groups like that, I was stoked!
    What was that snapping noise?
    That? That is incoming rounds my friend.......better keep your head a little lower........

  9. #9
    68Forums.com Team Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    531

    Default

    The Barnes 85 and 110 gr TSX, Nosler 100 & 110 Accubonds, Sierra 110 PH, and 90 TNT have all killed deer decisively. Look at the hunting threads and the Game killed threads on this site. You wouldn't have to go 130grs for deer unless you just want to.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMC6.8 View Post
    100 yards
    This was during the break in session to boot. The barrel was fresh out of the box and I ran about 200 rounds that day with groups no larger than 2.75". The average was about 1" with some as small as 1/8". Mind you it was about 20 degrees with intermittent snow squalls and winds in varying directions. I ran loads from 90 grains up to 130 and used three different powders. If conditions were more favorable I bet that I could have tightened things up a little more. Believe me I am not unhappy at all.
    Crappy conditions and a brand new barrel shooting groups like that, I was stoked!
    Nice to get a barrel that shoots like that "right out of the box" isn't it? My Bison has been like that since day one as well. It's definitely a better shooter than I am...

    Honestly, this cartridge is really adept to shooting anything (from hogs to dots) to 300+ yards, and it usually makes it easy on us!


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •