Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default Barrel length for hunting?

Hey ya'll, I'm building my first ar in the 6.8 SPC. I'm new to this forum and I was just curious, which barrel length do ya'll prefer for hunting with the 6.8 SPC? Will the 16.5"bbl be sufficient? Should I look at an 18" or 20"? I'm a reloader and will be loading most of my own ammo. Thanks for the replies.

LMB7784

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by lmb7784 View Post
    Hey ya'll, I'm building my first ar in the 6.8 SPC. I'm new to this forum and I was just curious, which barrel length do ya'll prefer for hunting with the 6.8 SPC? Will the 16.5"bbl be sufficient? Should I look at an 18" or 20"? I'm a reloader and will be loading most of my own ammo. Thanks for the replies.

LMB7784

The 16 in bbl works for me!

Look Here: http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10145

MS
    laissez-faire

We must take care that our rights as a people of a free society are not redefined as privilege by delusion of law or progressive government injustice.
    Without rights the privileges allowed to us become few and of little value.

68Forums.com Team Member

it comes down to personal preference. Some like the light weight advantage of the 16" and they say that you really don't gain a whole lot more velocity with the longer barrels and then others perfer the 18" because it "feels" like a better balance for a hunting rifle. Still there are those that have a love for the 20" with the slight edge in velocity although you're packing more weight in the field. As I said - Personal Preference. (I have a 16" and an 18", I couldn't decide - BRD!)

68Forums.com Team Member

Welcome to the forum.

As for barrel length a 18 will give you something on the order of 30-100 fps more than a 16 inch and a 20 will give you 50-200 fps over a 16 inch. Bullet and powder make a big difference. A good part of the velocity difference also comes from what barrel you are using. If you use a good spec barrel you will see a smaller difference from 16 to 18 or 20. Pick something you are comfortable and confident with because regardless of the length I don't think you can go wrong. As stated the shorter will be lighter by a little but it depends on your entire build by how much. I have a low spec 16 inch and great spec 20 inch. Both are great guns for shooting but I haven't had a chance to carry either one yet.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

68Forums.com lifer

6.8 is a very efficient cartridge in shorter barrels. Equalizer has a good post.

Probably 90 percent of 6.8 owners have 16 inch barrels. You can produce very good velocities with 16 inch barrels. Look at SSA's website and their quoted velocity figures for 16 inch barrels. If you're after a modest increase in velocity then an 18-20 may be something for you to look at. You definitely do not need more than 20 inches with the 6.8.

Really, it's a personal preference. You can make a light, easy to carry carbine with a 16 and some of the 18 inch barrels. The 20's on the market aren't bull barreled super heavy uppers, but you will notice a difference in weight between a 16 and a 20 inch upper.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

6.8 SPC Lover

If you're an on the move hunter, get the shorter barrel. If you're in some kind of stand, a longer barrel would work. Better yet, get both!

Jim

68Forums.com Team Member

I wish I could build about 20 ar's, but my finances restrict me to one right now. (Finances = wife) In a new spec II barrel will I give up that much velocity in the 16" bbl over the 20" bbl? My shots will be mostly under 200yds, and probably under 100yds.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by lmb7784 View Post
    I wish I could build about 20 ar's, but my finances restrict me to one right now. (Finances = wife) In a new spec II barrel will I give up that much velocity in the 16" bbl over the 20" bbl? My shots will be mostly under 200yds, and probably under 100yds.
    With factory ammo there isn't much difference between a 16 and 20 inch barrel in 6.8. Maybe 50-75 fps, possibly 100. With hand loads where you may try to wring out every last safe pressured fps then maybe the gap widens more between the two barrel lengths.

With your 100-200 yard ranges, there is no significant performance difference between a 16 and a 20 inch barrel. You're hitting the same targets with very similar energy levels.

It's been said that around 90% of 6.8 AR buyers choose the 16 inch barrel.

Then again, it's your personal preference. There's no wrong answer in your choices. If you like a 20 inch AR like Bison's, or Stag's Model 7, buy what you want and go shooting!!
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

68Forums.com Team Member

depending on the load I get 100 fps or less difference between my handloads in my 16 and 20 inch barrels.
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

As efficeint as the cartridge is. A 16" would serve you well at the shot distances that you describe and a little more.

train like your life depends on it, Because it does!
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted by HTR:
    They're smarter than dogs, warier than turkeys or deer, and more evil than a dungeon full of Mansons